Celtic 5 - 1 Dundee Utd

League - SPL
Saturday, August 13th, 2011, 3:00 PM at Celtic Park
Attendance: 50,589
Referee: Craig Thomson
Celtic Dundee Utd

Anthony Stokes (4)
Gary Hooper (33)
Ki Sung-Yueng (58)
Joe Ledley (71)
James Forrest (90)
Johnny Russell (31)

Team Managers
Neil Lennon Peter Houston

Starting Eleven
Łukasz Załuska
Mark Wilson
Daniel Majstorovic
Kelvin Wilson
Charlie Mulgrew
Kris Commons
Scott Brown
Ki Sung-Yueng
Joe Ledley
Gary Hooper
Anthony Stokes
Dušan Perniš
Paul Dixon
Garry Kenneth
Seán Dillon
Keith Watson
Scott Allan
Scott Robertson
Willo Flood
John Rankin
Johnny Russell
Jon Daly

Dominic Cervi
Adam Matthews
Georgios Samaras
Shaun Maloney
Patrick McCourt
James Forrest
Victor Wanyama
Steve Banks
Barry Douglas
Gavin Gunning
Danny Swanson
Stuart Armstrong
Gary Mackay-Steven
Ryan Dow

James Forrest for Kris Commons (63)
Shaun Maloney for Gary Hooper (66)
Patrick McCourt for Anthony Stokes (78)
Stuart Armstrong for Scott Allan (67)
Gavin Gunning for Willo Flood (78)

Ki Sung-Yueng (13) Scott Robertson (17)
John Rankin (22)
Willo Flood (37)

Red Cards
None. None.
Appearances & Goals To Date
Dušan Perniš (GK) 77 apps -
Paul Dixon 108 apps2 goals
Garry Kenneth 167 apps7 goals
Seán Dillon 170 apps3 goals
Keith Watson 56 apps2 goals
Scott Allan 4 apps -
John Rankin 6 apps -
Scott Robertson 88 apps5 goals
Willo Flood 74 apps1 goal
Johnny Russell 46 apps12 goals
Jon Daly 122 apps39 goals
Gavin Gunning (sub) 1 app (debut) -
Stuart Armstrong (sub) 14 apps -

Starting Lineup
Youngest Player:Scott Allan (19 years 263 days)
Oldest Player:Jon Daly (28 years 224 days)
Average Player Age:25 years 34 days
Domestic Players:7 (63.64 % of starting eleven)

Matchday Squad
Youngest Player:Stuart Armstrong (19 years 140 days)
Oldest Player:Steve Banks (39 years 195 days)
Average Player Age:24 years 228 days
Domestic Players:12 (66.67 % of matchday squad)

First Team Debuts
Gavin Gunning(Signed August 12th, 2011)


Three matches into the 2011/12 SPL season and United already had five points on the board: a decent start but up next was a daunting visit to Parkhead. Peter Houston made only one change to his United line-up from the previous week’s 1-1 draw at home to St Mirren: Scott Severin who had suffered a horrific triple-leg break during that game dropped out of the side with Scott Robertson taking his place in the starting 11. Republic of Ireland Under-21 international defender, Gavin Gunning - who had signed for United during the week from Blackburn Rovers – was given a place on the bench.

United started promisingly but were pegged back after only four minutes when Anthony Stokes capitalised on sloppy defending to prod Celtic into the lead. Both sides were managing to create half chances without really threatening the opposition goal but United did eventually find a leveller just after the half hour mark: a cross-cum-shot from Gary Kenneth flashed across the face of goal and Johnny Russell was on hand to bury the ball in the back of the net, 1-1. Peter Houston’s side weren't level for long though, a header from a Celtic player hit the crossbar and Gary Hooper rose above the United defenders to nod home the rebound from only a yard out.

After the interval Celtic went very close to extending their lead when a shot across goal from Kris Commons hit the inside of Perniš’ left-hand post and rebounded out for the United defence to clear. United continued to pose a threat to the home defence and went close in the 56th minute when a long-range free-kick from John Rankin curved just past the post. However the away side’s desire to push forward was punished when United lost possession high up the field and Celtic broke away at pace, Scott Brown feeding Kris Commons wide on the left who ran at the United defence before playing a perfect through ball into the path of Ki Sung-Yeung who lashed the ball past a helpless Dušan Perniš. Despite being 3-1 down the Terrors continued to try and attack the Celtic goal and Gary Kenneth went within inches of pulling a goal back: heading a Willo Flood corner across the face of goal but the ball looped just wide of Załuska’s back post. Johnny Russell was next to go close with a downward header from a high lofted Keith Watson ball but Załuska was on hand to tip the ball around the post. Celtic went close to a fourth when the ever-dangerous Gary Hooper raced through on goal but under pressure from Paul Dixon the Englishman fired his low shot just wide of the post and injured himself in the process. A fourth goal did eventually arrive for Celtic: Shaun Maloney playing the ball low across the face of the United goal and Joe Ledley managed to get in front of Keith Watson at the front post to bundle the ball into the back of the net. Maloney could have made it five in the final 10 minutes of the match following some clever footwork in the box but his low powerful shot across goal went just wide. Celtic did manage to hit the net again in stoppage time: a brilliant team goal finished off by James Forrest to complete a miserable afternoon for United.

<< Previous Match Next Match >>
Programme cover / Team sheet

Ticket stub / Admission info