Hibernian 1 - 1 Dundee Utd

(After extra time)
Scottish Cup - 4th Round Replay
Wednesday, February 17th, 1982, 7:30 PM at Easter Road
Attendance: 11,039
Referee: Hugh Alexander (Irvine)
Hibernian Dundee Utd

Craig Paterson (56) Billy Kirkwood (90)

Team Managers
Bertie Auld Jim McLean

Starting Eleven
Jim McArthur
Alan Sneddon
Bobby Flavell
Jackie McNamara
Craig Paterson
Ally Brazil
Ralph Callachan
Willie Jamieson
Arthur Duncan
Gordon Rae
Ally McLeod
Hamish McAlpine
Richard Gough
John Holt
Dave Narey
Maurice Malpas
Paul Hegarty
Eamonn Bannon
Ralph Milne
Billy Kirkwood
Davie Dodds
Paul Sturrock

Derek Rodier
Erich Schaedler
Derek Stark
Ian Gibson

Derek Rodier for Willie Jamieson (70) Derek Stark for Maurice Malpas

None. Paul Sturrock
Davie Dodds
Eamonn Bannon

Red Cards
None. None.
Appearances & Goals To Date
Hamish McAlpine (GK) 503 apps3 goals
Richard Gough 28 apps1 goal
John Holt 178 apps15 goals
Dave Narey 374 apps23 goals
Maurice Malpas 9 apps -
Paul Hegarty 327 apps51 goals
Eamonn Bannon 124 apps32 goals
Ralph Milne 88 apps23 goals
Billy Kirkwood 203 apps47 goals
Davie Dodds 154 apps55 goals
Paul Sturrock 308 apps95 goals
Derek Stark (sub) 140 apps3 goals

Starting Lineup
Youngest Player:Maurice Malpas (19 years 203 days)
Oldest Player:Hamish McAlpine (34 years 36 days)
Average Player Age:24 years 166 days
Domestic Players:11 (100.00 % of starting eleven)

Matchday Squad
Youngest Player:Maurice Malpas (19 years 203 days)
Oldest Player:Hamish McAlpine (34 years 36 days)
Average Player Age:24 years 164 days
Domestic Players:13 (100.00 % of matchday squad)

First Team Debuts


With United's already congested fixture schedule, Saturday's 1-1 draw at Tannadice meant an unwanted replay was required at Easter Road. United remained unchanged from the weekends line-up, with Derek Stark and Ian Gibson replacing Derek Murray and Graeme Payne on the bench.

It was 17 minutes before there was a direct shot from either team, with Eamonn Bannon's effort being well held by Jim McArthur. A great move between Paul Sturrock and Ralph Milne nearly brought a goal, but Ally Brazil just cleared in front of United's international striker. The first half then evolved into a niggly affair, with Davie Dodds being booked for a foul on Ralph Callachan. Manager Jim McLean was far from happy at the half-time whistle, publicly remonstrating with Eamonn Bannon as the teams went up the tunnel.

Early in the second half, a Craig Paterson back-header flew over Hamish McAlpine before being cleared by a combination of both Dave Narey and Paul Hegarty. A Sturrock pass was miskicked into the danger area by Brazil, but Davie Dodds was slow to react and the chance was gone. In the 56th minute Hibs took the lead. Both McAlpine and Narey hesitated when a Arthur Duncan corner came in, and Craig Paterson smacked the ball into the net. Frustration grew in the United ranks, and both Bannon and Sturrock were booked soon after. Hibs nearly scored a second, but Richard Gough cleared off the line after Gordon Rae had nipped on to a short passback from Hegarty. With virtually the last kick of the 90 minutes, United grabbed a dramatic equaliser, with Billy Kirkwood heading in a Ralph Milne corner, sending the tie into extra-time.

The additional 30 minutes brought nothing more than a lot of hard work from both teams, and a 2nd Replay would be needed to separate these two sides for a place in the 5th round draw.

<< Previous Match Next Match >>
Programme cover / Team sheet