Dundee Utd 1 - 1 Hibernian

Scottish Cup - 4th Round
Saturday, February 13th, 1982, 3:00 PM at Tannadice Park
Attendance: 10,735
Referee: Hugh Alexander (Irvine)
Mascot: William Clark
Dundee Utd  Hibernian

John Holt (10)
Gordon Rae (64)

Team Managers
Jim McLean
Bertie Auld

Starting Eleven
Hamish McAlpine
Richard Gough
John Holt
Maurice Malpas
Dave Narey
Paul Hegarty
Ralph Milne
Billy Kirkwood
Eamonn Bannon
Davie Dodds
Paul Sturrock
Jim McArthur
Alan Sneddon
Bobby Flavell
Jackie McNamara
Craig Paterson
Ally Brazil
Ralph Callachan
Willie Murray
Arthur Duncan
Gordon Rae
Ally McLeod

Derek Murray
Graeme Payne
Derek Rodier
Stuart Turnbull

Graeme Payne for Ralph Milne (82)

None. Jackie McNamara

Red Cards
None. None.
Appearances & Goals To Date
Hamish McAlpine (GK) 502 apps3 goals
Richard Gough 27 apps1 goal
John Holt 177 apps15 goals
Maurice Malpas 8 apps -
Dave Narey 373 apps23 goals
Paul Hegarty 326 apps51 goals
Ralph Milne 87 apps23 goals
Billy Kirkwood 202 apps46 goals
Eamonn Bannon 123 apps32 goals
Davie Dodds 153 apps55 goals
Paul Sturrock 307 apps95 goals
Graeme Payne (sub) 279 apps19 goals

Starting Lineup
Youngest Player:Maurice Malpas (19 years 199 days)
Oldest Player:Hamish McAlpine (34 years 32 days)
Average Player Age:24 years 162 days
Domestic Players:11 (100.00 % of starting eleven)

Matchday Squad
Youngest Player:Maurice Malpas (19 years 199 days)
Oldest Player:Hamish McAlpine (34 years 32 days)
Average Player Age:24 years 116 days
Domestic Players:13 (100.00 % of matchday squad)

First Team Debuts


After one of the harshest winters on record, normal service finally resumed at Tannadice by way of a Scottish Cup tie, where Hibs were our 'First Foots' of 1982 in the second week of February! Paul Sturrock was back after missing the last two games with a flu bug, and John Holt was also back in the side, at the expense of Iain Phillip and Malcolm Robertson.

Playing into the wind and the sunshine, United dominated the early stages, however it was Hibs who threatened the most when Ralph Callachan fired a half-volley just off target from an Ally MacLeod corner, and MacLeod brought out a spectacular save from Hamish McAlpine. However, United went into the lead in the 10th minutes. Paul Sturrock recieved a Richard Gough throw-in, wheeled round and sent in a tantalising cross which John Holt prodded into the net. After some great play, Sturrock saw a shot well saved by McArthur. United came close to adding a second in the 36th minute, when Paul Hegarty headed a Ralph Milne corner back across goal, but Davie Dodds' header came off the crossbar. Sturrock's artistry and running was tying the Hibs' defence in knots and both Brazil and McNamara were booked for fouls on the international striker. Billy Kirkwood went close with a header for United before Callachan all went close for Hibs, seeing his shot into the top corner well saved by McAlpine.

After being dominated in the first half, but only a goal down, Hibs gained confidence in the second half, and got back on level terms just after the hour mark. Gordon Rae resisted the challenges of both Dave Narey and Maurice Malpas before slamming a low shot past Hamish McAlpine in the 65th minute. There were few scoring opportunities from then on, but there was a feeling in the Tannadice camp that Hibs had been let off the hook with a perilous midweek replay at Easter Road to contemplate.

It has been so long since I last had the opportunity of communicating with you through this column that I could probably fill this entire new programme with comments on the past couple of months. However you will be delighted to learn that I will simply restrict myself to a few words concerning the most recent events concerning the club.

Naturally I have been extremely disappointed in many aspects of the side's performances since the end of the "freeze-up", a restart made worse for ourselves by the allocation of so many consecutive series of league games away from Tannadice - and now at home! Those travelling fixtures now completed it has become clear that we are currently hampered by an apparent drying up in the "goals for" column in comparison with what was on offer prior to the winter closedown. So often in the past clubs with too many irons in the fire have found themselves with little to show for their efforts in the end, and our most recent league disappointments appear to indicate that it is now going to require something drastic to occur elsewhere for us to maintain any real challenge in that direction. Tuesday night's defeat at Airdrie came as a bitter blow, especially aswe spent more than half the game placing relentless pressure on the home men - but with no goals to show for it! And the two goals we lost to them are better forgotten, as long as we learn from our errors! Today's clash against Hibs being a cup-tie, there will be no second chances. Obviously our recent lack of goal threat will be the biggest hurdle, a problem we simply must get right this afternoon.

<< Previous Match Next Match >>
Programme cover / Team sheet