Royal Antwerp 4 - 0 Dundee Utd

UEFA Cup - 2nd Round 1st Leg
Tuesday, October 17th, 1989, 7:30 PM at Bosuil
Attendance: 6,822
Referee: Ivan Gregr (Czechoslovakia)
Royal Antwerp Dundee Utd

Ralf Geilenkirchen (22)
Frans Van Rooij (23)
Frans Van Rooij (31)
Nico Claesen (47)

Team Managers
Dimitri Davidovic Jim McLean

Starting Eleven
Wim De Coninck
Rudi Smidts
Raphael Quaranta
Geert Emmerechts
Nico Broeckaert
Frans Van Rooij
Hans-Peter Lehnhoff
Wim Kiekens
Patrick Schrooten
Ralf Geilenkirchen
Nico Claesen
Billy Thomson
Paul Hegarty
Maurice Malpas
Dave Narey
Mixu Paatelainen
Dave Bowman
Jim McInally
John Clark
Billy McKinlay
Darren Jackson
Kevin Gallacher

Ratko Svilar
Alexandre Czerniatynski
Ronny van Geneaugden
Geert Hoebrechts
Rudy Taeymans
Alan Main
Gary McGinnis
Freddy van der Hoorn
Joe McLeod
Michael O'Neill

Alexandre Czerniatynski for Hans-Peter Lehnhoff (77) Freddy van der Hoorn for Paul Hegarty (51)
Michael O'Neill for Darren Jackson (62)

None. Kevin Gallacher (73)
Freddy van der Hoorn (89)

Red Cards
None. None.
Appearances & Goals To Date
Billy Thomson (GK) 224 apps -
Paul Hegarty 707 apps82 goals
Maurice Malpas 414 apps14 goals
Dave Narey 770 apps36 goals
Mixu Paatelainen 81 apps29 goals
Dave Bowman 142 apps3 goals
Jim McInally 151 apps8 goals
John Clark 180 apps23 goals
Billy McKinlay 63 apps2 goals
Darren Jackson 6 apps -
Kevin Gallacher 176 apps39 goals
Freddy van der Hoorn (sub) 12 apps2 goals
Michael O'Neill (sub) 11 apps4 goals

Starting Lineup
Youngest Player:Billy McKinlay (20 years 183 days)
Oldest Player:Paul Hegarty (35 years 93 days)
Average Player Age:26 years 243 days
Domestic Players:10 (90.91 % of starting eleven)

Matchday Squad
Youngest Player:Michael O'Neill (20 years 89 days)
Oldest Player:Paul Hegarty (35 years 93 days)
Average Player Age:25 years 212 days
Domestic Players:13 (81.25 % of matchday squad)

First Team Debuts


For once Europe, for which we have reserved so many of our best performances in the past decade, saw us flounder. Three goals in a nine minute spell in the first half plus another immediately after the interval left us with the awesome task of retrieving a four goal deficit this evening! We actually made a good enough start with Darren Jackson setting up a chance for Mixu Paatelainen, but the Finn's header went straight to De Coninck in goal. Van Rooy, the Dutchman who Freddy Van Der Hoorn had pointed out as their danger-man, showed why with a dipping free-kick which went wide and a 30 yard shot which Billy Thomson saved. Shortly after these moments of dangers, the roof caved in. Ralf Geilenkirchen was sent through by Lehnhoff and he drilled the ball home via the far post. Still in disarray we lost a second a minute later, Lehnhoff again was the architect. His neat pass found Frans Van Rooy, who hammered in goal number two. Two goals in two minutes and worse was to follow. Jim Mclnally fouled Geilenkirchen some 30 yards out. Frans Van Rooy's free-kick swerved viciously and deceived Billy Thomson who got a hand to the ball but couldn't prevent it going in.

The despondency deepened three minutes into the second half. Dave Narey under pressure from Nico Claesen sent a pass-back over the head of Billy Thomson and the 'keeper failed to hold it allowing Claesen to stroll in and knock in a fourth. The home side, understandably, seemed relatively happy with things and the remainder of the game saw little of note happen at either end, although Claesen may well have added a fifth with a header which went narrowly wide just before the final whistle, which was sounded some three minutes early.

<< Previous Match Next Match >>
Programme cover / Team sheet

Ticket stub / Admission info