Dundee Utd 0 - 4 Aberdeen

Scottish Cup - Semi Final
Saturday, April 14th, 1990, 3:00 PM at Tynecastle Park
Attendance: 16,581
Referee: Douglas Hope (Erskine)
Dundee Utd  Aberdeen

None. Brian Irvine (11)
Mixu Paatelainen o.g. (36)
Freddy Van der Hoorn o.g. (58)
Hans Gilhaus (85)

Team Managers
Jim McLean
Jocky Scott & Alex Smith

Starting Eleven
Alan Main
Dave Narey
Miodrag Krivokapić
Freddy van der Hoorn
Jim McInally
John Clark
Billy McKinlay
Mixu Paatelainen
Dave Bowman
Paddy Connolly
Darren Jackson
Theo Snelders
Stewart McKimmie
David Robertson
Brian Grant
Alex McLeish
Brian Irvine
Charlie Nicholas
Jim Bett
Paul Mason
Robert Connor
Hans Gilhaus

Brian Welsh
Hamish French
Willem Van der Ark
Graham Watson

Hamish French for Paddy Connolly (63)
Willem Van der Ark for Charlie Nicholas
Graham Watson for Peter Grant

None. None.

Red Cards
None. None.
Appearances & Goals To Date
Alan Main (GK) 42 apps -
Dave Narey 795 apps36 goals
Miodrag Krivokapić 62 apps1 goal
Freddy van der Hoorn 40 apps2 goals
Jim McInally 179 apps9 goals
John Clark 202 apps26 goals
Billy McKinlay 75 apps2 goals
Mixu Paatelainen 109 apps37 goals
Dave Bowman 163 apps4 goals
Paddy Connolly 21 apps6 goals
Darren Jackson 29 apps7 goals
Hamish French (sub) 61 apps9 goals

Starting Lineup
Youngest Player:Paddy Connolly (19 years 298 days)
Oldest Player:Dave Narey (33 years 314 days)
Average Player Age:25 years 132 days
Domestic Players:8 (72.73 % of starting eleven)

Matchday Squad
Youngest Player:Paddy Connolly (19 years 298 days)
Oldest Player:Dave Narey (33 years 314 days)
Average Player Age:25 years 38 days
Domestic Players:10 (76.92 % of matchday squad)

First Team Debuts


For our tenth semi-final, our fourth against Aberdeen, the United side was along more usual lines with Dave Narey returning after illness, whilst John Clark and Mixu Paatelainen, last week's substitutes, both started the tie. Alex Cleland and Peter Hinds dropped out and Brian Welsh moved to the subs bench. We got off to an excellent start with Freddy Van Der Hoorn making good progress down the left before cutting in and firing in a low shot which his fellow countryman, Theo Snelders, saved low down at the far post. Aberdeen's first serious threat on goal brought the Pittodrie Men an eleventh minute lead. A loose ball outside the box was headed on by Gillhaus to Nicholas out on the right wing. He drilled in a low cross which Grant met, but Alan Main brilliantly kept out his effort. However, there was nothing the United 'keeper could do to prevent Brian Irvine hammering in the rebound. We replied through Dave Narey who struck a 30 yarder which carried too much elevation to trouble Snelders. In the 36th minute we fell further behind. A corner by Connor was headed away by Miodrag Krivokapic, but only to Bett out on the left. The international midfielder quickly returned the ball into the middle and initially it appeared that Irvine had headed in Dons' second goal. Later it transpired that it was, in fact, Mixu Paatelainen who had got the final touch under pressure from Irvine.

Any hopes of salvaging the tie surely evaporated when yet another own goal rocked us. Full-back, Dave Robertson who made a surprise appearance for the Dons after a long spell of injury, crossed from the left and Freddy Van Der Hoorn's out-stretched leg directed the ball over Alan Main's head. Even with half an hour remaining it was clear that Aberdeen were well in control and with five minutes remaining Hans Gillhaus cut in from the left to fire a low shot into the far corner of the net. Aberdeen thus extracted full revenge for us having eliminated them from the Cup in the past two seasons.

<< Previous Match Next Match >>
Programme cover / Team sheet

Ticket stub / Admission info