Dundee Utd 1 - 0 Dundee

Scottish Cup - 3rd Round Replay
Tuesday, January 23rd, 1990, 7:30 PM at Tannadice Park
Attendance: 15,503
Referee: Jim McCluskey (Stewarton)
Dundee Utd  Dundee

John Clark (69)

Team Managers
Jim McLean
Gordon Wallace

Starting Eleven
Alan Main
Dave Narey
Miodrag Krivokapić
Allan Preston
Maurice Malpas
Freddy van der Hoorn
Michael O'Neill
Mixu Paatelainen
Jim McInally
John Clark
Darren Jackson
Tom Carson
Alan Dinnie
Rab Shannon
Gordon Chisholm
Stewart Forsyth
Mark Craib
Albert Craig
Gordon McLeod
Keith Wright
Billy Dodds
Shaun McSkimming

Dave Bowman
Paddy Connolly
Steve Frail
Joe McBride

Dave Bowman for Michael O'Neill (80)
Joe McBride for Shaun McSkimming (77)
Steve Frail for Mark Craib (86)

None. Billy Doddds (58)
Rab Shannon (83)

Red Cards
None. None.
Appearances & Goals To Date
Alan Main (GK) 30 apps -
Dave Narey 784 apps36 goals
Miodrag Krivokapić 51 apps1 goal
Allan Preston 17 apps1 goal
Maurice Malpas 431 apps14 goals
Freddy van der Hoorn 28 apps2 goals
Michael O'Neill 24 apps7 goals
Mixu Paatelainen 97 apps34 goals
Jim McInally 167 apps8 goals
John Clark 194 apps25 goals
Darren Jackson 17 apps3 goals
Dave Bowman (sub) 157 apps4 goals

Starting Lineup
Youngest Player:Allan Preston (20 years 165 days)
Oldest Player:Dave Narey (33 years 233 days)
Average Player Age:25 years 124 days
Domestic Players:7 (63.64 % of starting eleven)

Matchday Squad
Youngest Player:Paddy Connolly (19 years 217 days)
Oldest Player:Dave Narey (33 years 233 days)
Average Player Age:24 years 344 days
Domestic Players:9 (69.23 % of matchday squad)

First Team Debuts

John Clark scored for the 25th time for the Club.

A goal by John Clark, his first in the Scottish Cup, earned us a home tie with Queen of the South and meant that we had eliminated Dundee from the Scottish Cup for the fourth consecutive season If Dundee had dominated the first meeting, there was no doubt that we deserved our victory in a hard fought Cup-tie. Dundee certainly battled away, but hardly troubled Alan Main, whereas Tom Carson in Dundee's goal produced his now seemingly inevitable top class Tannadice performances until even he had to admit defeat with a little over 20 minutes left. The Tannadice pitch was heavy with a slight trace of snow following a heavy snow shower just prior to the match. Whilst Dundee made no changes from Saturday's tie, Allan Preston returned after a three month absence. Michael O'Neill replaced Kevin Gallacher and Freddy Van Der Hoorn came in for Dave Bowman. The match opened quietly and it was some twenty minutes before either 'keeper was called into serious action. Michael O'Neill chased a long throughball from Allan Preston and Rab Shannon almost sliced the ball past Tom Carson. Eight minutes later the big Dundee 'keeper came to their rescue when he turned away a fiercely driven John Clark free-kick. Dundee's most threatening attack of the half and indeed the match arrived shortly before half-time. Dodds made progress down the right and sent over a cross to the far post, but the incoming Shaun McSkimming failed to control the ball first time and Dave Narey hammered the ball to safety.

By and large it had been a subdued opening 45 minutes, but that was all forgotten as the second half got off to a stirring start. Tom Carson brought off another of his accustomed fine saves eight minutes into the second half when he dived full length to palm away Mixu Paatelainen's hooked shot which was destined for the far corner. The deadlock was finally broken in the 69th minute. Freddy Van Der Hoorn slung over a cross from the left and Jim Mclnally's head flick on found John Clark coming in from the right and he steered a low drive into the far corner of the net. Two minutes later John sent a header wide of the target as we endeavoured to seal victory. Dundee did stage a late rally but without posing any serious threat of snatching an equaliser.


<< Previous Match Next Match >>
Programme cover / Team sheet