Dundee Utd 1 - 2 Dundee

League - Premier Division
Saturday, March 24th, 1990, 3:00 PM at Tannadice Park
Attendance: 11,918
Referee: Brian McGinlay (Balfron)
Dundee Utd  Dundee

Paddy Connolly (2)
Keith Wright (13)
Rab Shannon (32)

Team Managers
Jim McLean
Gordon Wallace

Starting Eleven
Alan Main
Dave Narey
Miodrag Krivokapić
Freddy van der Hoorn
Maurice Malpas
John Clark
Jim McInally
Ray McKinnon
Mixu Paatelainen
Paddy Connolly
Darren Jackson
Paul Mathers
Stewart Forsyth
Rab Shannon
Gordon Chisholm
Willie Jamieson
Jim Duffy
Alan Campbell
Alan Dinnie
Keith Wright
Billy Dodds
Gordon McLeod

Dave Bowman
Hamish French
Mark Craib
Duncan Campbell

Dave Bowman for Maurice Malpas (18)
Hamish French for Ray McKinnon (69)

None. None.

Red Cards
None. None.
Appearances & Goals To Date
Alan Main (GK) 39 apps -
Dave Narey 793 apps36 goals
Miodrag Krivokapić 59 apps1 goal
Freddy van der Hoorn 37 apps2 goals
Maurice Malpas 439 apps14 goals
John Clark 200 apps26 goals
Jim McInally 176 apps9 goals
Ray McKinnon 10 apps -
Mixu Paatelainen 106 apps36 goals
Paddy Connolly 18 apps6 goals
Darren Jackson 26 apps6 goals
Dave Bowman (sub) 160 apps4 goals
Hamish French (sub) 60 apps9 goals

Starting Lineup
Youngest Player:Ray McKinnon (19 years 236 days)
Oldest Player:Dave Narey (33 years 293 days)
Average Player Age:25 years 122 days
Domestic Players:8 (72.73 % of starting eleven)

Matchday Squad
Youngest Player:Ray McKinnon (19 years 236 days)
Oldest Player:Dave Narey (33 years 293 days)
Average Player Age:25 years 165 days
Domestic Players:10 (76.92 % of matchday squad)

First Team Debuts

John Clark made his 200th competitive appearance for the Club.

A run of fourteen undefeated Premier home games came to an end when Dundee took both points from a gale swept Tannadice Park. Yet it all started so differently with Paddy Connolly giving us a second minute lead against the storm-force wind. Freddv Van Der Hoorn's free-kick found the head of Darren Jackson and his knock down allowed Paddy Connolly to deftly beat Paul Mathers to open to scoring. Early exchanges were fairly even but as the wind at Dundee's backs grew in strength so did the frequency of their attacks and the elements as much as anything else were responsible for Dundee getting back on to level terms. Alan Main's goal kick was held up in the wind. Maurice Malpas's attempted knock back bounced on the edge of the box and allowed Keith Wright to rise and nod the ball over the advancing Alan Main. It certainly wasn't an ill-wind as far as Dundee was concerned with a Dodds back-header from Mathers clearance troubling Alan Main and the United 'keeper-doing well to save a shot from Shannon. We hit back, but John Clark's shot was blocked by the Dundee defence.

But soon Dundee were back around Alan Main's goal and the young 'keeper did well to punch away Mathers punt down field and even better when he acrobatically saved from Jamieson. A minute later, however, he was beaten. Dave Narey was pulled up for holding Dodds and Rab Shannon stepped up to curve the free kick round the wall and low into Alan Main's left-hand post. Six minutes from the end Dundee had the ball in the net, but Chisholm's header was cancelled out due to an offside decision against Dodds. In one of the best moves of the half, Paddy Connolly and Mixu Paatelainen combined up the left and Paddy's diving header from Mixu's cross was well saved by Mathers. Remarkably, despite facing the wind for the whole of the second half that was Mather's last save of note. True we had most of the pressure, but Dundee's rearguard action prevented the creation of the many openings. A Mixu Paatelainen scorcher, a John Clark header which flashed past the post and a shot from Freddy Van Der Hoorn which whistled past the post was the best we could muster in a disappointing second half performance.


<< Previous Match Next Match >>
Programme cover / Team sheet