Rangers 3 - 1 Dundee Utd

League - Premier Division
Saturday, February 3rd, 1990, 3:00 PM at Ibrox
Attendance: 39,058
Referee: Jim McGilvray (Edinburgh)
Rangers Dundee Utd

Mark Walters (20)
Ally McCoist (36)
Maurice Johnston (39)
John Clark (43)

Team Managers
Graeme Souness Jim McLean

Starting Eleven
Chris Woods
Gary Stevens
Richard Gough
Stuart Munro
Nigel Spackman
Chris Vinnicombe
Trevor Steven
Mak Walters
Ally McCoist
Maurice Johnston
John Brown
Alan Main
Allan Preston
Maurice Malpas
Freddy van der Hoorn
Dave Narey
Mixu Paatelainen
Jim McInally
John Clark
Ray McKinnon
Paddy Connolly
Darren Jackson

Sandy Robertson
Davie Dodds
Gary McGinnis
Michael O'Neill

Sandy Robertson for Mark Walters (70) Gary McGinnis for John Clark (70)
Michael O'Neill for Paddy Connolly (70)

None. Ray McKinnon (32)
Jim McInally (34)

Red Cards
None. None.
Appearances & Goals To Date
Alan Main (GK) 32 apps -
Allan Preston 18 apps1 goal
Maurice Malpas 433 apps14 goals
Freddy van der Hoorn 30 apps2 goals
Dave Narey 786 apps36 goals
Mixu Paatelainen 99 apps35 goals
Jim McInally 169 apps8 goals
John Clark 196 apps26 goals
Ray McKinnon 4 apps -
Paddy Connolly 11 apps3 goals
Darren Jackson 19 apps3 goals
Gary McGinnis (sub) 92 apps1 goal
Michael O'Neill (sub) 25 apps7 goals

Starting Lineup
Youngest Player:Ray McKinnon (19 years 187 days)
Oldest Player:Dave Narey (33 years 244 days)
Average Player Age:24 years 108 days
Domestic Players:9 (81.82 % of starting eleven)

Matchday Squad
Youngest Player:Ray McKinnon (19 years 187 days)
Oldest Player:Dave Narey (33 years 244 days)
Average Player Age:24 years 59 days
Domestic Players:10 (76.92 % of matchday squad)

First Team Debuts


For the second week running we found ourselves trailing by three goals and then staged an unsuccessful but valiant fightback. Perhaps the most unpalatable aspect of this defeat was how the goals were gifted to Rangers in the first half and the manner in which a procession of chances were scored, particularly in the second half which we completely dominated. We could so easily have got off to the best of starts with a goal in the first minute, but youngster Ray McKinnon sent a volley from an Allan Preston cross over the top of Chris Woods bar. Certainly Alan Main had to look sharp to turn a low drive from McCoist round the post but the league leaders posed little or no threat. Then disaster struck. McCoist dispossessed Dave Narey and played the ball into the path of Mark Walters whose efficient finish into the far corner gave Alan Main no hope. Twenty minutes later another defensive error was punished severely. John Clark's miskicked clearance fell to Johnston, who somewhat fortuitously played the ball into the middle whilst on the ground. The ball was perfect for Ally McCoist to ram home their second. Three minutes later the match as a contest looked over. The ball was played into Mo Johnston, who looked offside, but none-the-less the striker finished clinically with a shot into the far corner and the game appeared dead. However, our spirits were lifted two minutes from halt-time when Freddy Van Der Hoorn was brought down and from the free kick by Allan Preston, John Clark headed strongly past Woods.

The second half was an extraordinary affair in view of the final scoreline. We certainly dominated the game and created enough chances to have actually won the game. In the 53rd minute Woods misjudged a cross and only Richard Gough's intervention on the line prevented Allan Preston's shot from counting. Paddy Connolly twice came close to scoring. Once with a lob which Woods saved easily and shortly afterwards when Woods dived to keep out his shot destined for the far corner. Rangers sole goal attempt of note in the second period came when McCoist robbed John Clark and set up Johnston, but his shot hit the post. Two misses by Darren Jackson within a minute ensured that it wasn't to be our day, but that suicidal first half was the root cause of our defeat.

<< Previous Match Next Match >>
Programme cover / Team sheet