Dundee Utd 2 - 0 Celtic

League - Premier Division
Saturday, January 13th, 1990, 3:00 PM at Tannadice Park
Attendance: 16,629
Referee: Jim Renton (Cowdenbeath)
Dundee Utd  Celtic

Paddy Connolly (36)
Paddy Connolly (44)

Team Managers
Jim McLean
Billy McNeill

Starting Eleven
Alan Main
Dave Narey
Miodrag Krivokapić
Freddy van der Hoorn
Maurice Malpas
Mixu Paatelainen
John Clark
Jim McInally
Darren Jackson
Paddy Connolly
Kevin Gallacher
Pat Bonner
Chris Morris
Dariusz Wdowczyk
Mike Galloway
Paul Elliot
Derek Whyte
Alex Mathie
Paul McStay
Dariusz Dziekanowski
Stevie Fulton
Joe Miller

Dave Bowman
Ray McKinnon
Peter Grant
Andy Walker

Dave Bowman for Paddy Connolly (84)
Andy Walker for Alex Mathie (58)

Freddy van der Hoorn (45)
Derek Whyte (37)
Stevie Fulton (38)
Paul McStay (44)
Paul Elliot (76)

Red Cards
None. None.
Appearances & Goals To Date
Alan Main (GK) 28 apps -
Dave Narey 782 apps36 goals
Miodrag Krivokapić 49 apps1 goal
Freddy van der Hoorn 26 apps2 goals
Maurice Malpas 429 apps14 goals
Mixu Paatelainen 95 apps34 goals
John Clark 192 apps24 goals
Jim McInally 165 apps8 goals
Darren Jackson 15 apps3 goals
Paddy Connolly 8 apps2 goals
Kevin Gallacher 187 apps40 goals
Dave Bowman (sub) 155 apps4 goals

Starting Lineup
Youngest Player:Paddy Connolly (19 years 207 days)
Oldest Player:Dave Narey (33 years 223 days)
Average Player Age:25 years 175 days
Domestic Players:8 (72.73 % of starting eleven)

Matchday Squad
Youngest Player:Ray McKinnon (19 years 166 days)
Oldest Player:Dave Narey (33 years 223 days)
Average Player Age:25 years 16 days
Domestic Players:10 (76.92 % of matchday squad)

First Team Debuts


Tannadice, which has so often been the graveyard for Celtic's aspirations lived up to its reputation yet again. This latest defeat means Celtic have only won twice on Tayside in their last 17 visits. More importantly from a United standpoint, it closed the gap on Celtic, who are in fourth spot, to a single point and re-awakened our own hopes of a place in Europe again next season.

Early proceedings shed no light on how comfortable a victory we were to eventually earn. If anything Celtic had the better of the opening half hour, most notably when Elliot flicked on a Mathie corner and Miller smacked the ball against the bar. However once we went ahead there was only going to be one winner. That first goal came after 36 minutes when Kevin Gallacher's powerful shot was only palmed away by Bonner and Paddy Connolly turned the ball home although Bonner did fumble the ball over the line. Within a matter of minutes we should have scored twice more. Celtic's defence was in total disarray as Kevin Gallacher sped on to a through ball, but he shot weakly into Bonner's arms. Then John Clark was presented with a free header from a Dave Narey free-kick, but he missed the target. However, right on the stroke of half-time we did get a second and again the move was initiated by a free-kick from Dave Narey. Mixu Paatelainen headed the ball on and Elliot, obligingly missed his clearance to allow Paddy Connolly to steal in, side-step Bonner and tuck the ball into the empty net.

Immediately after the interval we might have gone further ahead, but Bonner pushed over Darren Jackson's downward header from a sweeping cross from Miodrag Krivokapic. Celtic, true to their tradition, battled hard, but on the few occasions they managed to find a gap in our defence, they found goalkeeper Alan Main unflappable. So with two thirds of our home League programme under-taken we remain unbeaten, which is all the more remarkable after our patchy home form of last season.


<< Previous Match Next Match >>
Programme cover / Team sheet