Hibernian 2 - 0 Dundee Utd

League - Premier Division
Saturday, September 9th, 1989, 3:00 PM at Easter Road
Attendance: 6,938
Referee: Sandy Roy (Aberdeen)
Hibernian Dundee Utd

Gareth Evans (39)
Dave Fellinger (87)

Team Managers
Alex Miller Jim McLean

Starting Eleven
Andy Goram
Paul Kane
Alan Sneddon
Neil Cooper
Graham Mitchell
Gordon Hunter
Micky Weir
Neil Orr
Keith Houchen
John Collins
Gareth Evans
Billy Thomson
Dave Narey
Paul Hegarty
Freddy van der Hoorn
Maurice Malpas
Jim McInally
Michael O'Neill
Dave Bowman
Hamish French
Kevin Gallacher
Peter Hinds

Dave Fellinger
Brian Hamilton
Ray McKinnon
John Clark

Dave Fellinger for Gareth Evans(81)
Brian Hamilton for Paul Kane (85)
John Clark for Michael O'Neill (58)

Keith Houchen (59) Kevin Gallacher (61)
Dave Bowman (87)

Red Cards
None. None.
Appearances & Goals To Date
Billy Thomson (GK) 216 apps -
Dave Narey 762 apps36 goals
Paul Hegarty 703 apps82 goals
Freddy van der Hoorn 6 apps1 goal
Maurice Malpas 406 apps13 goals
Jim McInally 143 apps5 goals
Michael O'Neill 5 apps3 goals
Dave Bowman 134 apps3 goals
Hamish French 55 apps8 goals
Kevin Gallacher 168 apps38 goals
Peter Hinds 3 apps1 goal
John Clark (sub) 173 apps22 goals

Starting Lineup
Youngest Player:Michael O'Neill (20 years 51 days)
Oldest Player:Paul Hegarty (35 years 55 days)
Average Player Age:27 years 99 days
Domestic Players:8 (72.73 % of starting eleven)

Matchday Squad
Youngest Player:Ray McKinnon (19 years 40 days)
Oldest Player:Paul Hegarty (35 years 55 days)
Average Player Age:26 years 171 days
Domestic Players:10 (76.92 % of matchday squad)

First Team Debuts


Not for the first time this season we got off to a great start, dominating the first half only to let it slip away. As early as the third minute Dave Bowman clipped the ball forward to Kevin Gallacher who got to the bye-line and his cut-back was knocked over by Peter Hinds. Dave Bowman then got on the end of a good move between Michael O'Neill and Peter Hinds, but his first time effort went agonisingly past the wrong side of the post. Two minutes later Kevin Gallacher shot over from another Peter Hinds cross. Apart from a Sneddon free header which went straight to Billy Thomson, Hibs had posed no threat at the other end. Another chance was passed up when Kevin Gallacher couldn't get enough power into his shot from a Dave Bowman cross from the right and a quick turn in the box by Kevin Gallacher gave him space but his curling shot went past the far post. Tragedy struck seven minutes from the interval when Dave Narey's pass back proved too troublesome for Billy Thomson and Gareth Evans ran on to net the loose ball into a vacant net.

John Collins almost added to that opener five minutes into the second period but Billy Thomson tipped his effort over the bar. Jimmy McInally was the hero quarter of an hour later when he cleared an Evans header off the line. Peter Hinds was twice involved in near misses at the other end. First he headed a Maurice Malpas cross past the post and then he broke clear on a quick counter attack, but Goram blocked his shot. Three minutes from time Hibs substitute Dave Fellinger weaved his way in front of goal and planted the ball past Billy Thomson to ensure Hibs first victory against us at Easter Road since April 1984.

<< Previous Match Next Match >>
Programme cover / Team sheet