Dundee Utd 2 - 1 Celtic

League - Premier Division
Saturday, April 13th, 1991, 3:00 PM at Tannadice Park
Attendance: 13,603
Referee: Jim McCluskey (Stewarton)
Dundee Utd  Celtic

Freddy van der Hoorn (45)
Ray McKinnon (89)
Maurice Malpas (o.g.) (58)

Team Managers
Jim McLean
Billy McNeill

Starting Eleven
Alan Main
Freddy van der Hoorn
Brian Welsh
Maurice Malpas
Jim McInally
John Clark
Ray McKinnon
John O'Neil
Dave Bowman
Hamish French
Darren Jackson
Pat Bonner
Mark McNally
Dariusz Wdowczyk
Peter Grant
Paul Elliott
Derek Whyte
Joe Miller
Paul McStay
Tommy Coyne
Charlie Nicholas
John Collins

Michael O'Neill
Billy McKinlay
Anton Rogan
Gerry Creaney

Billy McKinlay for John O'Neil (85)
Anton Rogan for John Collins (71)
Gerry Creaney for Joe Miller (73)

Ray McKinnon (84)
Paul Elliot (60)

Red Cards
None. None.
Appearances & Goals To Date
Alan Main (GK) 80 apps -
Freddy van der Hoorn 82 apps4 goals
Brian Welsh 34 apps2 goals
Maurice Malpas 484 apps15 goals
Jim McInally 225 apps11 goals
John Clark 224 apps30 goals
Ray McKinnon 31 apps3 goals
John O'Neil 25 apps -
Dave Bowman 188 apps5 goals
Hamish French 84 apps13 goals
Darren Jackson 73 apps25 goals
Billy McKinlay (sub) 119 apps4 goals

Starting Lineup
Youngest Player:John O'Neil (19 years 286 days)
Oldest Player:Maurice Malpas (28 years 260 days)
Average Player Age:25 years 0 days
Domestic Players:10 (90.91 % of starting eleven)

Matchday Squad
Youngest Player:John O'Neil (19 years 286 days)
Oldest Player:Maurice Malpas (28 years 260 days)
Average Player Age:24 years 189 days
Domestic Players:11 (84.62 % of matchday squad)

First Team Debuts


Celtic's undistinguished record at Tannadice continued and it is now 7 games since they last won a league game here. Much more importantly, however, the two points opened up a six point gap over our nearest rivals for third place in the league which would guarantee a UEFA Cup place next season. In the early stages all the activity centred around Pat Bonner's goal with three minutes on the clock Jim McInally sliced a Dave Bowman cutback wide. Two minutes later Bonner rose high to save John O'Neil's lofted drive. In the ninth minute Hamish French strode on to Darren Jackson's headed knock on and embarked on a run down the left with Elliot in hot pursuit. Although Hamish appeared to be impeded by Elliot as he shot, but no penalty was forthcoming and Bonner collected easily. Celtics limited response was a series of high aerial balls none of which tested Alan Main. Tommy Coyne did have an excellent chance after Nicholas forced Brian Welsh into an error, but the former Tannadice striker miscued a volley well past the target. A few minutes later Dave Bowman skied the ball over after Hamish French had laid the ball into his path. Although Celtic stepped up their attacking efforts as the interval approached, they were to find themselves heading in for the halftime break trailing to a superb strike. A Ray McKinnon corner was only cleared to the edge of the box and Freddy van der Hoorn hit a blistering shot into Bonner's left hand corner. Bonner did get a hand to the ball but the sheer power of the shot meant he could only fractionally deviate the balls path.

Five minutes after the interval Tommy Coyne scorned Celtic's best chance of the game. Miller played the ball through to him and though in a suspiciously off-side position, he was allowed to carry on but his final shot was well off target. Nine minutes later Celtic's finishing was much more accurate. Charlie Nicholas found himself in space and rifled in a shot which Alan Main parried into the air and in the rush to try and clear the danger, captain Maurice Malpas diverted the ball into the net. Soon Bonner was in action doing well to hold a well struck John Clark free-kick. Bonner then made a great one handed save from Darren Jackson to palm away the danger. Thirteen minutes from the end Ray McKinnon carved open the Celtic defence, but Bonner saved Hamish French's shot at the second attempt. Five minutes from the end Bonner pulled a 25 yard shot from Brian Welsh out of the air. In virtually our last attack we scored a tremendous goal to snatch an all important victory. Dave Bowman slung over a cross from the right and Ray McKinnon jumped to power in a header into the top corner from 12 yards out. Victory left us requiring two or possibly three points from our final five games to be absolutely certain of a 15th consecutive season in Europe.


<< Previous Match Next Match >>
Programme cover / Team sheet