Dundee Utd 3 - 2 St Mirren

League - Premier Division
Saturday, January 5th, 1991, 3:00 PM at Tannadice Park
Attendance: 6,180
Referee: D Miller (Garrowhill)
Dundee Utd  St Mirren

Christian Dailly (40)
John Clark (46)
Alex Cleland (76)
Kenny McDowall (33)
Steve Archibald (65)

Team Managers
Jim McLean
Tony Fitzpatrick

Starting Eleven
Alan Main
Maurice Malpas
Christian Dailly
Miodrag Krivokapić
Freddy van der Hoorn
John Clark
Jim McInally
Billy McKinlay
Michael O'Neill
Paddy Connolly
Darren Jackson
Les Fridge
Fraser Wishart
Tom Black
Brian Martin
Munoz Victor
Roddie Manley
Kenny McDowall
George Shaw
Mark McWalter
Steve Archibald
Paul Kinnaird

Alex Cleland
Mixu Paatelainen
Julian Broddle
Alan Irvine

Alex Cleland for Michael O'Neill (65)
Mixu Paatelainen for Darren Jackson (84)
Julian Broddle for Les Fridge (46)
Alan Irvine for Roddie Manley (75)

None. Julian Broddle (64)
Tom Black (87)

Red Cards
None. None.
Appearances & Goals To Date
Alan Main (GK) 65 apps -
Maurice Malpas 469 apps15 goals
Christian Dailly 21 apps7 goals
Miodrag Krivokapić 82 apps1 goal
Freddy van der Hoorn 67 apps3 goals
John Clark 210 apps27 goals
Jim McInally 210 apps10 goals
Billy McKinlay 107 apps3 goals
Michael O'Neill 37 apps7 goals
Paddy Connolly 33 apps7 goals
Darren Jackson 60 apps23 goals
Alex Cleland (sub) 54 apps4 goals
Mixu Paatelainen (sub) 134 apps38 goals

Starting Lineup
Youngest Player:Christian Dailly (17 years 78 days)
Oldest Player:Miodrag Krivokapić (31 years 129 days)
Average Player Age:24 years 158 days
Domestic Players:8 (72.73 % of starting eleven)

Matchday Squad
Youngest Player:Christian Dailly (17 years 78 days)
Oldest Player:Miodrag Krivokapić (31 years 129 days)
Average Player Age:24 years 22 days
Domestic Players:9 (69.23 % of matchday squad)

First Team Debuts


A gale force wind and lashing rain made conditions particularly unpleasant for the first home game of 1991. Despite playing into the wind we dominated play in that first half. As early as the fifth minute, Fridge made the first of several fine saves when he pushed a Billy McKinlay shot over the bar. Fridge again came to Saints' rescue four minutes later. Christian Dailly crossed, John Clark hit a shot on the turn which the St. Mirren 'keeper deflected over the bar with his leg. Paddy Connolly struck a shot past the far post as we continued to press forward. It wasn't until the 19th minute that Alan Main was called into action when he made a flying interception to a Kinnaird cross. Most of the action continued around Fridge's goal, however, in the 25th minute Michael O'Neill struck a shot against the 'keeper and John Clark, following up struck the bar, but it was all academic as the linesman had his flag up for offside. On the half hour mark Fridge made another magnificent save. Christian Dailly delivered a cross which was headed down by Darren Jackson, but Fridge somehow kept the ball out. Three minutes later and totally against the run of play, Saints took the lead. Kinnaird's corner from the right was met by Kenny McDowall coming in at the back post and he headed the ball down the net.

Four minutes later McDowall was a defensive hero clearing a Paddy Connolly cross which was destined for Michael O'Neill. Five minutes from the interval the almost inevitable equaliser came. Billy McKinaly played the ball through to Darren Jackson. Fridge came out to block his shot, but the ball broke loose to present Christian Dailly with a simple tap in. Fridge was injured in the process and failed to appear in the second half so Kenny McDowall took over in goal.

Alan Main had to block a McWalter shot early in the second half, but almost immediately afterwards we went ahead. Paddy Connolly made a piercing run down the right and his cut-back was dummied by Chnstian Dailly and John Clark rammed the ball into the far corner from some 20 yards to score his first goal of the season. However, Saints hit back to equalise twenty minutes into the second period when Steve Archibald headed home a Shaw cross. Fourteen minutes from the end we snatched the winner when Christian Dailly made good progress down the right before squaring the ball into Alex Cleland. McDowall failed to hold the substitute's shot from 30 yards and the ball squirmed over the line to give us the lead again. We might well have had another goal three minutes from time, but McDowall saved Mixu Paatelainen's penalty, awarded after Black had bundled Paddy Connolly off the ball. Considering the conditions this was an excellent match which we deserved to win in view of the number of chances we created.


<< Previous Match Next Match >>
Programme cover / Team sheet