Motherwell 0 - 2 Dundee Utd

League - Premier Division
Saturday, November 3rd, 1990, 3:00 PM at Fir Park
Attendance: 8,117
Referee: Jim McCluskey (Stewarton)
Motherwell Dundee Utd

None. Darren Jackson (29)
Christian Dailly (89)

Team Managers
Tommy McLean Jim McLean

Starting Eleven
Ally Maxwell
Craig Burley
Tom Boyd
Jim Griffin
Luc Nijholt
Chris McCart
Dougie Arnott
Bobby Russell
Nick Cusack
Steve Kirk
Davie Cooper
Alan Main
Dave Narey
Miodrag Krivokapić
Freddy van der Hoorn
Maurice Malpas
Alex Cleland
Mixu Paatelainen
Jim McInally
Billy McKinlay
Darren Jackson
Hamish French

Craig Paterson
Joe McLeod
Christian Dailly
Gijs Steinmann

Joe McLeod for Steve Kirk (71)
Craig Paterson for George Burley (85)
Christian Dailly for Hamish French (74)

None. None.

Red Cards
Dougie Arnott (57) Freddy van der Hoorn (57)
Appearances & Goals To Date
Alan Main (GK) 54 apps -
Dave Narey 801 apps36 goals
Miodrag Krivokapić 72 apps1 goal
Freddy van der Hoorn 58 apps3 goals
Maurice Malpas 458 apps14 goals
Alex Cleland 47 apps3 goals
Mixu Paatelainen 127 apps37 goals
Jim McInally 199 apps10 goals
Billy McKinlay 96 apps3 goals
Darren Jackson 50 apps17 goals
Hamish French 71 apps10 goals
Christian Dailly (sub) 10 apps4 goals

Starting Lineup
Youngest Player:Alex Cleland (19 years 333 days)
Oldest Player:Dave Narey (34 years 152 days)
Average Player Age:26 years 29 days
Domestic Players:8 (72.73 % of starting eleven)

Matchday Squad
Youngest Player:Christian Dailly (17 years 15 days)
Oldest Player:Dave Narey (34 years 152 days)
Average Player Age:25 years 239 days
Domestic Players:9 (69.23 % of matchday squad)

First Team Debuts

Darren Jackson played his 50th major competitive game for the Club.

The United line-up showed considerable change from the previous week with Freddy Van Der Hoorn and Miodrag Krivokapic, both passing late fitness tests. Meanwhile Mixu Paatelainen, Darren Jackson and Alex Cleland all returned. In the early stages it was end to end stuff with Maxwell holding a shot from Maurice Malpas in the first minute. Apart from a Kirk header which went over we continued to make the running in the early stages and Hamish French had the ball in the net in 17 minutes but was ruled off-side. Midway through the half Motherwell almost went ahead, but Freddy Van Der Hoorn flicked away a penetrating cross from the ever dangerous Davie Cooper. Tom Boyd then sent in a snap shot which was well held by Alan Main. In actual fact this was about the only shot Motherwell had on target during the whole game. Six minutes later we went ahead in spectacular fashion. There appeared little imminent danger as Darren Jackson took a Maurice Malpas throw and set off on a diagonal run out of the corner of the box, but Darren wheeled quickly to send in a spectacular curving shot into the top right hand corner of the net.

Motherwell, certainly made a more enterprising start to the second half, but for all that they failed to trouble Alan Main. Twelve minutes into the second period a clash between Arnott and Freddy Van Der Hoorn led to them both being red carded. Irnmediately after this, Maxwell came to Motherwell's rescue when a fierce shot by Mixu Paatelainen rebounded off his chest for a corner. Soon afterwards Maxwell was again in action holding a shot from Hamish French and then tipping a Jim Mclnally shot round the post. With seven minute's left we had a great opportunity to ensure victory when McCart misjudged Main's massive clearance downfield and the ball fell to Darren Jackson who miscued his shot. However, what few doubts about the results may have lingered were completely removed when Darren Jackson released Christian Dailly in the inside left channel and the teenage substitute carefully placed a shot into the far corner of the net from the edge of the box. So a week after losing our unbeaten home record, we did likewise to Motherwell by virtue of two magnificent strikes.

<< Previous Match Next Match >>
Programme cover / Team sheet