Dundee Utd 1 - 1 Aberdeen

League - Premier Division
Tuesday, April 29th, 1980, 7:30 PM at Tannadice Park
Attendance: 12,764
Referee: Douglas Downie (Edinburgh)
Dundee Utd  Aberdeen

John Holt (49)
Gordon Strachan (16)

Team Managers
Jim McLean
Alex Ferguson

Starting Eleven
Andy Graham
Paul Hegarty
Derek Stark
Iain Phillip
John Holt
Dave Narey
Eamonn Bannon
Billy Kirkwood
Davie Dodds
Paul Sturrock
Willie Pettigrew
Bobby Clark
Stuart Kennedy
Doug Rougvie
John McMaster
Alex McLeish
Willie Miller
Gordon Strachan
Steve Archibald
Mark McGhee
Drew Jarvie
Ian Scanlon

Ralph Milne
Derek Addison
Derek Hamilton
Andy Watson

Ralph Milne for Willie Pettigrew
Derek Hamilton for Mark McGhee
Andy Watson for Drew Jarvie

Appearances & Goals To Date
Andy Graham (GK) 4 apps -
Paul Hegarty 238 apps39 goals
Derek Stark 81 apps2 goals
Iain Phillip 48 apps1 goal
John Holt 108 apps10 goals
Dave Narey 283 apps20 goals
Eamonn Bannon 30 apps4 goals
Billy Kirkwood 123 apps28 goals
Davie Dodds 77 apps22 goals
Paul Sturrock 219 apps55 goals
Willie Pettigrew 49 apps22 goals
Ralph Milne (sub) 19 apps3 goals

Starting Lineup
Youngest Player:Derek Stark (21 years 167 days)
Oldest Player:Willie Pettigrew (26 years 219 days)
Average Player Age:23 years 217 days
Domestic Players:11 (100.00 % of starting eleven)

Matchday Squad
Youngest Player:Ralph Milne (18 years 356 days)
Oldest Player:Willie Pettigrew (26 years 219 days)
Average Player Age:23 years 122 days
Domestic Players:13 (100.00 % of matchday squad)

First Team Debuts

John Holt reached 10 goals for the Club.

A New Firm confrontation is one more normally associated with early season than a fixture with which to sign off from the league campaign. More often than not the Don's did come to Tannadice late in the season, it was due to the rescheduling of an earlier postponed match and that was indeed the case when Aberdeen last brought the curtain down on the home league programme. Season 1979-80 was the year in which the Old Firm's dominance of the three major trophies had come under fire. United, of course, had beaten Aberdeen in the League Cup to win our first major honour, and although Rangers and Celtic were to contest the Scottish Cup Final, Aberdeen came to Tannadice in April 1980 as clear favourites to break a 14 year 'Old Firm' stranglehold on the League Championship.

There was undoubtedly a feeling in the Tannadice camp that we wouldn't begrudge the Dons that title as long as it wasn't at our expense. The position was that Aberdeen had three matches remaining and were level on points with Celtic, but had a game in hand and topped the table thanks to a superior goal difference as they headed into this Tannadice examination of their championship credentials. United, despite the League Cup success, were in fifth place in a three way fight for fourth spot with Rangers and Morton, but a U.E.F.A. Cup spot was already in the bag thanks to the League Cup triumph.

United had Paul Hegarty and John Holt back in the side, whilst Andy Graham was making one of his only three Premier appearances for the club in goal in place of Hamish McAlpine who was injured. Aberdeen, meantime, preferred the experience of Drew Jan/ie to young Andy Watson for the vital occasion. Alex Ferguson's men got off to a good start giving the Tannadice defence a fright as early as the second minute. Archibald hit a thirty yarder which squirmed out of Andy Graham's arms and trickled past the far post for a corner. The visitors, in fact, showed no sign of nerves during the first half, in which they were well on top.

Their pace and aggression appeared to upset United and they went ahead after quarter of an hour. The Dons may have been lucky to get a free kick when Dave Narey's firm tackle on McGhee looked legal enough, but Gordon Strachan took full advantage, smashing the free-kick into the far corner with Andy Graham an enforced spectator. Believe it or not but that was the first league goal conceded by United at Tannadice since Celtic had scored in November, 11 matches previously.

Indeed it was one of only six goals conceded in 18 home league outings all season! The Dons carried on where they had left off after the goal and come the interval their superiority could be measured by Bobby Clark in goal not having had one direct shot to deal with!

At half-time, manager Jim McLean brought on Ralph Milne to replace Willie Pettigrew and four minutes into that second period, the Tangerines drew level. Paul Sturrock fashioned the move with a pass to Billy Kirkwood on the overlap and the Dons defence was all at sea when the cross came over, allowing John Holt, who was completely unmarked, to score with a powerful header from Billy Kirkwood's cross. That goal silenced the Aberdeen fans as United at last began to get things together. The second half was diametrically opposite to the first half as United engaged in all the attacking and five minutes from the end only a great save by Bobby Clark prevented Ralph Milne from giving United both points. On their first half showing Aberdeen might easily have had both points, but in the end they had to dig into their defensive reserves to salvage a single point.


Pld W D L F A +/- Pts
1. Aberdeen 34 18 9 7 62 35 27 45
2. Celtic 34 17 10 7 59 38 21 44
3. St Mirren 34 14 11 9 52 48 4 39
4. UNITED 35 12 12 11 43 30 13 36
5. Rangers 33 14 7 12 45 38 7 35
6. Morton 35 14 7 14 51 46 5 35
7. Kilmarnock 35 11 11 13 36 51 -15 33
8. Partick Thistle 33 9 13 11 37 43 -6 31
9. Dundee 35 10 6 19 47 71 -24 26
10. Hibernian 34 6 6 22 29 61 -32 18
<< Previous Match Next Match >>
Programme cover / Team sheet