Dundee Utd 1 - 4 Rangers

Scottish Cup - Final Replay
Tuesday, May 12th, 1981, 8:00 PM at Hampden Park
Attendance: 42,004
Referee: Ian Foote (Glasgow)
Dundee Utd  Rangers

Davie Dodds (22)
Davie Cooper (10)
Bobby Russell (20)
John McDonald (28)
John McDonald (77)

Team Managers
Jim McLean
John Greig

Starting Eleven
Hamish McAlpine
Iain Phillip
Dave Narey
John Holt
Paul Hegarty
Frank Kopel
Eamonn Bannon
Ralph Milne
Billy Kirkwood
Davie Dodds
Paul Sturrock
Jim Stewart
Sandy Jardine
Ally Dawson
Tom Forsyth
Gregor Stevens
Jim Bett
Davie Cooper
Bobby Russell
Derek Johnstone
Ian Redford
John McDonald

Derek Stark
Willie Pettigrew
Tommy McLean
Colin McAdam

Derek Stark for Iain Phillip

None. Ally Dawson
Tom Forsyth
Gregor Stevens

Red Cards
None. None.
Appearances & Goals To Date
Hamish McAlpine (GK) 467 apps3 goals
Iain Phillip 98 apps1 goal
Dave Narey 338 apps22 goals
John Holt 145 apps11 goals
Paul Hegarty 293 apps49 goals
Frank Kopel 390 apps13 goals
Eamonn Bannon 86 apps17 goals
Ralph Milne 53 apps13 goals
Billy Kirkwood 170 apps40 goals
Davie Dodds 118 apps45 goals
Paul Sturrock 276 apps78 goals
Derek Stark (sub) 120 apps3 goals

Starting Lineup
Youngest Player:Ralph Milne (20 years 4 days)
Oldest Player:Hamish McAlpine (33 years 120 days)
Average Player Age:25 years 228 days
Domestic Players:11 (100.00 % of starting eleven)

Matchday Squad
Youngest Player:Ralph Milne (20 years 4 days)
Oldest Player:Hamish McAlpine (33 years 120 days)
Average Player Age:25 years 196 days
Domestic Players:13 (100.00 % of matchday squad)

First Team Debuts


United played in what was their only replayed Scottish Cup Final and what a disappointing night it turned out to be. United had gone into the first match which ended goal-less as favourites, but John Greig made three vital changes and it was the substitutes from the first match who were to shatter United's dreams of a cup double after already having annexed the League Cup that season.

Within twenty minutes the cup was Ibrox bound with Davie Cooper after ten minutes and Bobby Russell ten minutes later having put Rangers two up. Hopes were temporarily raised when Davie Dodds became the first United player to score in a Scottish Cup Final three minutes later. Eamonn Bannon crossed and Paul Sturrock knocked it on to the unmarked Dodds who had time to chest it down before slotting it past Stewart. However, John MacDonald restored their two goal advantage six minutes later as Rangers remained in control for half-time.

A tired United side struggled to find a way back in the second half, and the result was beyond doubt long before John MacDonald scored his second with 13 minutes left. There is no doubt this was a desperately disappointing night, particularly as Rangers, by their standards, were going through a lean spell as far as honours were concerned.

<< Previous Match Next Match >>
Programme cover / Team sheet