Dundee Utd 3 - 2 Celtic

Scottish Cup - Semi Final Replay
Wednesday, April 15th, 1981, 7:30 PM at Hampden Park
Attendance: 32,328
Referee: George Smith (Edinburgh)
Dundee Utd  Celtic

Eamonn Bannon (8)
Paul Hegarty (9)
Paul Hegarty (76)
Charlie Nicholas (pen.) (5)
Davie Provan (44)

Team Managers
Jim McLean
Billy McNeill

Starting Eleven
Hamish McAlpine
Iain Phillip
Dave Narey
John Holt
Paul Hegarty
Frank Kopel
Billy Kirkwood
Eamonn Bannon
Ralph Milne
Davie Dodds
Paul Sturrock
Pat Bonner
Murdo Macleod
Mark Reid
Dom Sullivan
Tom McAdam
Roy Aitken
Davie Provan
Mike Conroy
Frank McGarvey
Tommy Burns
Charlie Nicholas

Derek Stark
Willie Pettigrew
Roddie McDonald
Johnny Doyle

None. Johnny Doyle for Dom Sullivan

None. None.

Red Cards
None. None.
Appearances & Goals To Date
Hamish McAlpine (GK) 460 apps3 goals
Iain Phillip 92 apps1 goal
Dave Narey 333 apps22 goals
John Holt 138 apps11 goals
Paul Hegarty 289 apps49 goals
Frank Kopel 384 apps13 goals
Billy Kirkwood 164 apps38 goals
Eamonn Bannon 79 apps15 goals
Ralph Milne 46 apps12 goals
Davie Dodds 113 apps42 goals
Paul Sturrock 269 apps77 goals

Starting Lineup
Youngest Player:Ralph Milne (19 years 342 days)
Oldest Player:Hamish McAlpine (33 years 93 days)
Average Player Age:25 years 201 days
Domestic Players:11 (100.00 % of starting eleven)

Matchday Squad
Youngest Player:Ralph Milne (19 years 342 days)
Oldest Player:Hamish McAlpine (33 years 93 days)
Average Player Age:25 years 169 days
Domestic Players:13 (100.00 % of matchday squad)

First Team Debuts


United progressed to the final to face Rangers following a Semi Final Replay classic which ebbed and flowed throughout.

After stalemate in the original meeting four days earlier this game was the complete opposite as both sides went all out to get the win. In the 5th minute, John Holt was adjudged to have handled a Davie Provan cross at the far post, and Charlie Nicholas sent Hamish McAlpine the wrong way from the spot. United grabbed a quick equaliser just three minutes later when Paul Sturrock burst down the right and cut back for Eamonn Bannon to hammer the ball past Pat Bonner. With Celtic still reeling United struck again. Bannon fired a free-kick across goal and Paul Hegarty, who only passed a fitness test prior to kick off, stole in behind the defence to give Bonner no chance with a shot from six yards. Celtic eventually recovered, and in the 29th minute McAlpine made a fine save from a Nicholas effort. With a minute remaining of the first half, McAlpine punched clear from a McGarvey challenge, but Davie Provan met it first time to fire home from 18 yards.

As often is the case in such matches the goal deluge eased somewhat after the break and during the latter stages proceedings reached the stage where a goal for either side would probably be enough. Thankfully for United it was them who came out on top. With 14 minutes to go, a long free-kick sailed over everyone and Bannon headed back across the goal for Paul Hegarty to knock home the winner, meaning the Arabs were heading back to Hampden for their second ever Scottish Cup final.

<< Previous Match Next Match >>