Brechin City 1 - 2 Dundee Utd

Scottish Cup - 3rd Round
Saturday, January 24th, 1981, 3:00 PM at Glebe Park
Attendance: 5,791
Referee: W Knowles (Inverurie)
Brechin City Dundee Utd

Ian Paterson (48) Davie Dodds (7)
Billy Kirkwood (16)

Team Managers
Doug Houston Jim McLean

Starting Eleven
Derek Neilson
David Watt
Andy Keating
Atholl Henderson
Stuart Glover
Dick Campbell
Ian Campbell
Ian Paterson
Steve Graham
Ray Lorimer
Rob Cormack
Hamish McAlpine
Frank Kopel
Dave Narey
Iain Phillip
John Holt
Paul Hegarty
Billy Kirkwood
Derek Addison
Eamonn Bannon
Davie Dodds
Paul Sturrock

Kimmy Kyles
Brian Reid
Ralph Milne
Graeme Payne

None. Ralph Milne for Iain Phillip

None. None.

Red Cards
None. None.
Appearances & Goals To Date
Hamish McAlpine (GK) 447 apps3 goals
Frank Kopel 371 apps13 goals
Dave Narey 320 apps21 goals
Iain Phillip 80 apps1 goal
John Holt 129 apps11 goals
Paul Hegarty 276 apps46 goals
Billy Kirkwood 151 apps33 goals
Derek Addison 129 apps14 goals
Eamonn Bannon 66 apps11 goals
Davie Dodds 103 apps34 goals
Paul Sturrock 257 apps72 goals
Ralph Milne (sub) 38 apps10 goals

Starting Lineup
Youngest Player:Davie Dodds (22 years 129 days)
Oldest Player:Hamish McAlpine (33 years 12 days)
Average Player Age:25 years 314 days
Domestic Players:11 (100.00 % of starting eleven)

Matchday Squad
Youngest Player:Ralph Milne (19 years 261 days)
Oldest Player:Hamish McAlpine (33 years 12 days)
Average Player Age:25 years 116 days
Domestic Players:13 (100.00 % of matchday squad)

First Team Debuts


United travelled up the A90 to Brechin for their Scottish Cup 3rd Round tie, with John Holt and Derek Addison making the starting eleven in place of Ian Gibson and Willie Pettigrew.

Fresh from having the previous weekend off due to a postponement, United flew into a commanding lead. Seven minutes in, a John Holt throw-in was met by Paul Hegarty, whose header was flicked home by Davie Dodds to put United in front. Nine minutes later Billy Kirkwood blasted a shot into the corner of the net when Watt failed to clear a dangerous cross and a rout had looked on the cards at this stage.

However, shortly after half time Ian Patterson reduced the leeway, shrugging off three challenges to shoot home. United endured a nervy wait until the final whistle sounded to see off their Second Division opponents, as they moved into the fourth round to face Partick Thistle.

<< Previous Match Next Match >>
Programme cover / Team sheet