KSC Lokeren 0 - 0 Dundee Utd

UEFA Cup - 2nd Round 2nd Leg
Wednesday, November 5th, 1980, 7:30 PM at Daknamstadion
Attendance: 9,000
Referee: Klaus Scheurell (West Germany)
KSC Lokeren Dundee Utd

None. None.

Team Managers
Urbain Haesaert & Jozef Vacenovsky Jim McLean

Starting Eleven
Bouke Hoogenboom
Robert Dalving
Maurice De Schrijver
Ronald Somers
Marc Verbruggen
Raymond Mommens
René Verheyen
Arnor Gudjohnsen
Preben Elkjaer Larsen
Wlodzimierz Lubanski
Grzegorz Lato
Hamish McAlpine
Iain Phillip
Paul Hegarty
Dave Narey
Derek Stark
Frank Kopel
Eamonn Bannon
Billy Kirkwood
Graeme Payne
Joe Ward
Paul Sturrock

Roland Ingels
Ronny Laroy
Edward Snelders
Rudiger Van Raemdonck
Hendrik Van Cauter
John Gardiner
John Holt
Derek Addison
Willie Pettigrew
Davie Dodds

Edward Snelders for Wlodzimierz Lubanski John Holt for Graeme Payne (75)
Willie Pettigrew for Joe Ward (75)

None. None.

Red Cards
None. None.
Appearances & Goals To Date
Hamish McAlpine (GK) 433 apps3 goals
Iain Phillip 66 apps1 goal
Paul Hegarty 262 apps45 goals
Dave Narey 307 apps21 goals
Derek Stark 105 apps3 goals
Frank Kopel 357 apps13 goals
Eamonn Bannon 52 apps8 goals
Billy Kirkwood 143 apps30 goals
Graeme Payne 252 apps17 goals
Joe Ward 12 apps7 goals
Paul Sturrock 243 apps63 goals
John Holt (sub) 119 apps11 goals
Willie Pettigrew (sub) 61 apps26 goals

Starting Lineup
Youngest Player:Derek Stark (21 years 357 days)
Oldest Player:Hamish McAlpine (32 years 297 days)
Average Player Age:25 years 275 days
Domestic Players:11 (100.00 % of starting eleven)

Matchday Squad
Youngest Player:Derek Stark (21 years 357 days)
Oldest Player:Hamish McAlpine (32 years 297 days)
Average Player Age:25 years 102 days
Domestic Players:16 (100.00 % of matchday squad)

First Team Debuts


There was only one change from Saturdays win over Morton, with Billy Kirkwood replacing the ineligible Ian Gibson as United looked to advance after the 1-1 draw at Tannadice in the 1st leg.

With only two minutes gone, Paul Sturrock sent Derek Stark down the wing on the overlap, but his low cross into the goalmouth was cleared by Robert Dalving with Ward waiting to touch home. In eight minutes, after good work from Frank Kopel and Eamonn Bannon, Graeme Payne brought out a great save from the Belgian keeper, with Hoogenboom diving full length to the near post to prevent a goal. It took 13 minutes before Lokeren had their first decent attack with Verbruggen's long range shot well wide of the target. Seven minutes later and United scorned a great chance to go in front, Paul Hegarty latched on to a Stark overhead flick, but the centre-half shot wide form a good position. McAlpine had his first real save to make in the 27th minute, dealing with a shot from Lato, but United continued to have most of the play. Although Lokeren had a chance right on half-time, with McAlpine saving from Verheyen.

United continued to push for that all important away goal in the second half. In the 57th minute, Stark collected from the keepers punch out from a corner, and leathered the ball towards the top corner where the keeper tipped it over the bar. United sent Pettigrew on for Ward in the 65th minute, but Lokeren then began to threaten. In the 71st minute, Lubanski put Mommens through on goal, and the Belgian internationalist tried to side foot the ball past McAlpine, who miraculously got his hand to the ball for Stark to then clear. United then broke down the other end, where Pettigrew fired a great shot which hit the bar and bounced over. United pushed for the goal to take them through, but Gudjohnsen had a chance to score with a minute to go, with Iain Phillip clearing off the line after the winger had rounded McAlpine.

Unfortunately, one of United's best ever performances in a European away tie was not enough, with United paying the price for not gaining the victory in the 1st leg at Tannadice.

<< Previous Match Next Match >>
Programme cover / Team sheet