Motherwell 2 - 1 Dundee Utd

League Cup - 3rd Round 1st Leg
Wednesday, September 3rd, 1980, 7:30 PM at Fir Park
Attendance: 3,327
Referee: Alan Ferguson (Giffnock)
Motherwell Dundee Utd

John McKeever (38)
Ian Clinging (40)
Derek Addison (9)

Team Managers
Ally McLeod Jim McLean

Starting Eleven
Hugh Sproat
Tommy O'Rourke
Chic McLelland
Bobby Carberry
Joe Carson
Mike Larnach
Steve McLelland
Albert Kidd
John McKeever
Brian McLaughlin
Ian Clinging
Hamish McAlpine
Iain Phillip
Dave Narey
Paul Hegarty
Derek Stark
Ralph Milne
Billy Kirkwood
Derek Addison
Eamonn Bannon
Joe Ward
Paul Sturrock

John Gahagan
Graeme Forbes
Frank Kopel
Graeme Payne

John Gahagan for Steve McLelland (76) Frank Kopel for Derek Stark (75)
Graeme Payne for Joe Ward (75)

None. Eamonn Bannon (77)

Red Cards
None. None.
Appearances & Goals To Date
Hamish McAlpine (GK) 417 apps3 goals
Iain Phillip 55 apps1 goal
Dave Narey 292 apps21 goals
Paul Hegarty 246 apps43 goals
Derek Stark 90 apps2 goals
Ralph Milne 27 apps5 goals
Billy Kirkwood 132 apps28 goals
Derek Addison 123 apps13 goals
Eamonn Bannon 39 apps7 goals
Joe Ward 7 apps5 goals
Paul Sturrock 227 apps59 goals
Frank Kopel (sub) 342 apps13 goals
Graeme Payne (sub) 237 apps15 goals

Starting Lineup
Youngest Player:Ralph Milne (19 years 118 days)
Oldest Player:Hamish McAlpine (32 years 234 days)
Average Player Age:24 years 194 days
Domestic Players:11 (100.00 % of starting eleven)

Matchday Squad
Youngest Player:Ralph Milne (19 years 118 days)
Oldest Player:Hamish McAlpine (32 years 234 days)
Average Player Age:25 years 25 days
Domestic Players:13 (100.00 % of matchday squad)

First Team Debuts


Manager Jim McLean stuck with the same starting eleven that eased past Cowdenbeath in the previous round, with the experienced Frank Kopel replacing Colin Campbell on the bench.

United almost snatched the lead after two minutes when the home defence allowed Eamonn Bannon in for a free header which hit the top of the bar. The First Division side then were unlucky not to score, when Steve McLelland found himself with just Hamish McAlpine to beat, but his volley came off the keepers shoulder and over. United took the lead in the 9th minute, when Hugh Sproat blocked a Joe Ward shot from 18 yards, and Derek Addison nipped in to score from eight yards. Ralph Milne was next to threaten, but his header from a Kirkwood chip fell weakly into Sproats hands. After 38 minutes of United pressure, Motherwell came storming back just before the interval. John McKeever got to the ball before both McAlpine and Narey to equalise from six yards, and two minutes later Ian Clinging put Motherwell in front when he headed home after an Albert Kidd long throw.

United started the second half strongly, with chances for Bannon and Ward, but the home side had gained confidence from the two goals just before the interval, and in the 71st minute a McKeever effort scraped the post. Both teams made substitutions and the match became untidy before the end. The home side had made United very uncomfortable, but fortunately they failed to give themselves more of a cushion to take to Tannadice for the 2nd leg.

<< Previous Match Next Match >>
Programme cover / Team sheet