Dundee Utd 4 - 0 Cowdenbeath

League Cup - 2nd Round 1st Leg
Wednesday, August 27th, 1980, 7:30 PM at Tannadice Park
Attendance: 3,401
Referee: Kenny Hope (Clarkston)
Dundee Utd  Cowdenbeath

Paul Sturrock (8)
Eamonn Bannon (18)
Eamonn Bannon (57)
Paul Hegarty (67)

Team Managers
Jim McLean
Pat Stanton

Starting Eleven
Hamish McAlpine
Dave Narey
Paul Hegarty
Derek Stark
Derek Addison
Eamonn Bannon
Ralph Milne
Billy Kirkwood
Joe Ward
Paul Sturrock
Graeme Payne
Ray Allan
Andy Rolland
Jim Markey
Dave Hunter
Bobby Russell
Grant Tierney
Gordon Forrest
Brian Ferrier
Jim Liddle
Jim Marshall
Billy Steele

Iain Phillip
Davie Dodds
Keith Ferguson

Davie Dodds for Joe Ward
Keith Ferguson for Gordon Forrest (82)

None. None.

Red Cards
None. None.
Appearances & Goals To Date
Hamish McAlpine (GK) 415 apps3 goals
Dave Narey 290 apps21 goals
Paul Hegarty 244 apps42 goals
Derek Stark 88 apps2 goals
Derek Addison 121 apps12 goals
Eamonn Bannon 37 apps7 goals
Ralph Milne 25 apps5 goals
Billy Kirkwood 130 apps28 goals
Joe Ward 5 apps3 goals
Paul Sturrock 225 apps58 goals
Graeme Payne 236 apps15 goals
Davie Dodds (sub) 79 apps22 goals

Starting Lineup
Youngest Player:Ralph Milne (19 years 111 days)
Oldest Player:Hamish McAlpine (32 years 227 days)
Average Player Age:24 years 126 days
Domestic Players:11 (100.00 % of starting eleven)

Matchday Squad
Youngest Player:Ralph Milne (19 years 111 days)
Oldest Player:Hamish McAlpine (32 years 227 days)
Average Player Age:24 years 116 days
Domestic Players:13 (100.00 % of matchday squad)

First Team Debuts


In the 2nd Round of the League Cup, the Tannadice men faced their second Fife opponents of this seasons competition. Jim McLean went with the same starting eleven from the weekend's draw with Morton, with Davie Dodds replacing John Reilly on the subs bench.

After early efforts from Dave Narey and Eamonn Bannon, United took the lead after eight minutes, with Paul Sturrock breaking the deadlock with an acrobatic overhead kick after Paul Hegarty got his head to a Ralph Milne corner. Cowdenbeath threatened, going close with a Tierney header, before Eamonn Bannon's 18th minute header from a Milne cross made it 2-0. United continued to dominate, and Cowden keeper Ray Allan made a couple of great saves from Milne and Derek Stark. Sturrock wheeled onto a Payne pass but shot over in the 32nd minute, and Allan saved again from a Milne header as the visitors did well to keep the score down to only two at the interval.

Both sides missed reasonable chances on the restart, and in the 55th minute United were awarded a penalty when Sturrock was fouled by Tierney in the box. However, Allan pulled off a superb save from Bannon's spot kick. Two minutes later Eamonn Bannon atoned for that miss by volleying home a Billy Kirkwood cut-back. Cowdenbeath were unlucky not to pull one back, when a Liddell header from a corner hit McAlpine and rebounded for a corner, and two minutes later Marshall came close with a fine effort. Captain Paul Hegarty added a fourth in the 67th minute, powerfully heading home from a Kirkwood cross. Before the end, Allan again saved superbly to prevent Bannon claiming his hat-trick, and again to stop a Payne free-kick. United had now scored 13 goals in 3 matches in the competition so far, with the 2nd leg still to come at Central Park in three days time.

After our Premier League disappointment here against Monon last Saturday it's back to cup duty again tonight when Fife visitors Cowdenbeath are on League Cup first leg business. Having disposed of their neighbours East Fife's challenge in the last round we obviously have hopes of repenting the job against a Central Park side, which has recently been taken over by, that experienced professional Pat Stanton.

Sadly for you our fans, the promising form of the outings prior to last weekend was not repeated and we have yet to signal our opening league success of the season. Three consecutive 'shares have resulted so' far in Premier league outings and that's not good enough for any club with title aspirations, whoever they may be. The facts are made even worse by the completion of two of those games v. Morton and Kilmarnock here at Tannadice.

What has been the most striking aspect of our recent games has been the ability of the side to completely overwhelm the opposition for spells in each game but fail to extend those periods into template games, It was again the case last Saturday when in the opening 20 minutes Morton were struggling to keep in a game which was by the minute steadily going away from them. But then again the failing materialised out of nothing and we fell away to the extent that the second half was a complete opposite in terms of thought and action to the early spell. Sad to say I honestly do not believe that the players themselves know just what goes wrong. They have so much ability I now feel certain that they do not appreciate just what has gone right for them before the fatal lapses take their effect.

<< Previous Match Next Match >>
Programme cover / Team sheet