Dundee Utd 1 - 2 Rangers

League Cup - Final
Saturday, November 28th, 1981, 3:00 PM at Hampden Park
Attendance: 53,795
Referee: Eddie Pringle (Edinburgh)
Dundee Utd  Rangers

Ralph Milne (47)
Davie Cooper (74)
Ian Redford (88)

Team Managers
Jim McLean
John Greig

Starting Eleven
Hamish McAlpine
Iain Phillip
Dave Narey
John Holt
Paul Hegarty
Derek Stark
Eamonn Bannon
Ralph Milne
Billy Kirkwood
Davie Dodds
Paul Sturrock
Jim Stewart
Sandy Jardine
Alex Miller
Gregor Stevens
Colin Jackson
Jim Bett
Davie Cooper
Bobby Russell
Derek Johnstone
Gordon Dalziel
John MacDonald

Maurice Malpas
Richard Gough
Ian Redford
Billy Mackay

None. Ian Redford for Gordon Dalziel

None. None.

Red Cards
None. None.
Appearances & Goals To Date
Hamish McAlpine (GK) 493 apps3 goals
Iain Phillip 121 apps1 goal
Dave Narey 364 apps22 goals
John Holt 170 apps14 goals
Paul Hegarty 317 apps50 goals
Derek Stark 135 apps3 goals
Eamonn Bannon 114 apps29 goals
Ralph Milne 78 apps21 goals
Billy Kirkwood 194 apps45 goals
Davie Dodds 144 apps54 goals
Paul Sturrock 300 apps93 goals

Starting Lineup
Youngest Player:Ralph Milne (20 years 204 days)
Oldest Player:Hamish McAlpine (33 years 320 days)
Average Player Age:25 years 108 days
Domestic Players:11 (100.00 % of starting eleven)

Matchday Squad
Youngest Player:Maurice Malpas (19 years 122 days)
Oldest Player:Hamish McAlpine (33 years 320 days)
Average Player Age:24 years 147 days
Domestic Players:13 (100.00 % of matchday squad)

First Team Debuts

Paul Sturrock made his 300th competitive appearance for the Club.

After winning the competition the previous two seasons, United travelled to the national stadium aiming to become only the second club to win the League Cup trophy on three consecutive occasions. Jim McLean went with a more experienced line-up than the previous few weeks, with Derek Stark back in the starting eleven and youngsters Richard Gough and Maurice Malpas on he bench.

United threatened as early as the first minute when John Holt put Paul Sturrock in, but the striker shot weakly past. Hamish McAlpine then pulled off a tremendous save from a Derek Johnstone header. Ralph Milne was gifted a chance when a Rangers defender slipped and let him in on goal, but he shot timidly and the chance was gone. The Rangers midfield was now being completely overwhelmed, and Milne had further chances, first heading over before seeing a shot well saved by Jim Stewart. Rangers then managed to string together a few attacks, with both Davie Cooper and Bobby Russell coming close. Before half-time, Sturrock was again put through, but failed with a poor finish.

After dominating the first half without taking their chances, United were again first on the offensive after the restart, with Eamonn Bannon forcing Stewart into a good save from a free-kick. United took the lead four minutes into the second half when Paul Sturrock slipped the ball into the path of Ralph Milne just over the half-way line and the winger ran fully thirty yards before shooting low past Stewart. Three minutes later the tie appeared settled in United's favour when Paul Sturrock crashed home a glorious 25 yarder, but a linesman's flag saved Rangers with John Holt having been adjudged to have strayed into an offside position. Referee Eddie Pringle gave the free-kick without consulting his linesman. Sensing a reprieve Rangers took full advantage. Davie Cooper curled home a 20 yard free-kick in typical fashion in the 76th minute and United's dreams were shattered when Ian Redford sent a a curling shot from the left high into the corner of the net with two minutes left.

It was a hard one to take after dominating the match for so long, but failed chances and a controversial refereeing decision saw United return to Dundee without that much sought after third trophy.

<< Previous Match Next Match >>
Programme cover / Team sheet