Motherwell 1 - 0 Dundee Utd

League Cup - Quarter Final
Tuesday, October 26th, 2010, 7:45 PM at Fir Park
Attendance: 4,838
Referee: Willie Collum
Motherwell Dundee Utd

Alan Gow (86) None.

Team Managers
Craig Brown Peter Houston

Starting Eleven
Darren Randolph
Steven Hammell
Stephen Craigan
Mark Reynolds
Steven Saunders
Steve Jennings
Chris Humphrey
Tom Hateley
Alan Gow
Nick Blackman
Jamie Murphy
Dušan Perniš
Paul Dixon
Garry Kenneth
Seán Dillon
Keith Watson
Morgaro Gomis
David Robertson
Prince Buaben
Scott Robertson
Jon Daly
David Goodwillie

Lee Hollis
Jonathan Page
John Sutton
Ross Forbes
Robert McHugh
Steve Banks
Barry Douglas
Andis Shala
Danny Cadamarteri
Ryan Dow

John Sutton for Jamie Murphy (20)
Ross Forbes for Steve Jennings (88)
Jonathan Page for Alan Gow (90)
Barry Douglas for Paul Dixon (46)
Danny Cadamarteri for Jon Daly (79)
Andis Shala for David Robertson (88)

Steve Jennings (85) Prince Buaben (44)

Red Cards
None. None.
Appearances & Goals To Date
Dušan Perniš (GK) 38 apps -
Seán Dillon 134 apps2 goals
Keith Watson 20 apps -
Paul Dixon 75 apps1 goal
Garry Kenneth 140 apps6 goals
Morgaro Gomis 151 apps7 goals
David Robertson 117 apps16 goals
Prince Buaben 111 apps8 goals
Scott Robertson 53 apps5 goals
Jon Daly 91 apps28 goals
David Goodwillie 100 apps26 goals
Barry Douglas (sub) 7 apps -
Danny Cadamarteri (sub) 32 apps4 goals
Andis Shala (sub) 28 apps2 goals

Starting Lineup
Youngest Player:Keith Watson (20 years 351 days)
Oldest Player:Jon Daly (27 years 298 days)
Average Player Age:24 years 145 days
Domestic Players:6 (54.55 % of starting eleven)

Matchday Squad
Youngest Player:Ryan Dow (19 years 146 days)
Oldest Player:Steve Banks (38 years 269 days)
Average Player Age:25 years 15 days
Domestic Players:8 (50.00 % of matchday squad)

First Team Debuts

David Goodwillie played his 100th major competitive game for the Club.

A goal three minutes from the end of an at times scrappy encounter at Fir Park cruelly ended United hopes of a place in the semi-final of the Co-op Cup at Fir Park.

The tie looked to be heading for extra time until three minutes from the end of the regulation 90 minutes until disaster struck.

Buaben’s clearance from Hateley’s corner came off the post and hit Gomis and the ball fell to Gow who delivered a killer strike from ten yards.

Compounding the misery was the denial of a first half penalty when Scott Robertson appeared to be on the point of scoring when impeded by Steve Jennings in the unlucky 13th minute.

With Manager Peter Houston having called for the side to hit the ground running, there was no repeat of the poor opening period performances which had proved so injurious in the previous games against Celtic and Motherwell in the league.

Indeed, it was United who almost struck first through David Goodwillie, but his prodded effort was straight at Darren Randolph.

But Motherwell had their moments none more so seven minutes from the interval when Dusan Pernis denied Nick Blackman at close range.

The second half failed to provide anything so clear cut until that late Gow blow.

And in the little time that was left, a stramash on the goaline from a Cadamarteri shot was as close as United came to salvaging something.

<< Previous Match Next Match >>
Programme cover / Team sheet