Celtic 1 - 0 Dundee Utd

League Cup - Quarter Final
Wednesday, September 21st, 1994, 7:30 PM at Hampden Park
Attendance: 28,859
Referee: Andrew Waddell (Edinburgh)
Celtic Dundee Utd

John Collins (87) None.

Team Managers
Tommy Burns Ivan Golac

Starting Eleven
Gordon Marshall
Mike Galloway
Tom Boyd
Mark McNally
Tony Mowbray
Peter Grant
Pat McGinlay
Paul McStay
Simon Donnelly
Andy Walker
John Collins
Alan Main
Gordan Petrić
Alex Cleland
Brian Welsh
Maurice Malpas
Jerren Nixon
Billy McKinlay
Jim McInally
David Hannah
Paddy Connolly
Dragutin Ristić

Pat Bonner
Brian O'Neil
Charlie Nicholas
Henrik Jørgensen
Chris Myers
Craig Brewster

Brian O'Neil for Paul McStay (48)
Charlie Nicholas for Simon Donnelly (89)
Craig Brewster for Paddy Connolly (16)
Chris Myers for Jim McInally (89)

Pat McGinlay (88) Billy McKinlay (19)
Alex Cleland (41)
Maurice Malpas (61)

Red Cards
None. None.
Appearances & Goals To Date
Alan Main (GK) 184 apps -
Gordan Petrić 44 apps2 goals
Alex Cleland 169 apps9 goals
Brian Welsh 119 apps9 goals
Maurice Malpas 629 apps19 goals
Jerren Nixon 31 apps4 goals
Billy McKinlay 247 apps20 goals
Jim McInally 350 apps21 goals
David Hannah 28 apps5 goals
Paddy Connolly 130 apps35 goals
Dragutin Ristić 9 apps2 goals
Chris Myers (sub) 11 apps -
Craig Brewster (sub) 48 apps21 goals

Starting Lineup
Youngest Player:David Hannah (21 years 53 days)
Oldest Player:Maurice Malpas (32 years 57 days)
Average Player Age:26 years 12 days
Domestic Players:8 (72.73 % of starting eleven)

Matchday Squad
Youngest Player:David Hannah (21 years 53 days)
Oldest Player:Maurice Malpas (32 years 57 days)
Average Player Age:26 years 111 days
Domestic Players:9 (64.29 % of matchday squad)

First Team Debuts


After the poor showing at Tynecastle, the Tannadice line-up showed considerable change. Into the side came Billy McKinlay, Brian Welsh, Paddy Connolly and Jerren Nixon.

The Tangerines began in impressive fashion, looking to quickly atone for the defeat by Hearts. Indeed they were unlucky not to go ahead after only three minutes when Alex Cleland robbed Collins. nicked past him, leaving himself with a clear run in on goal, but Marshall advanced to save his low grounder from the edge of the box. All the early pressing was by United. After 13 minutes a quickly taken Billy McKinlay free-kick almost caught Marshall out as the ball scraped past the near post.

United's luck was out when the reinstated Paddy Connolly had to limp off, the victim of a Galloway tackle from behind. Celtic gradually crept into the game with Alan Main saving a low shot from Donnelly and three minutes from the interval the United keeper pulled off an acrobatic save from Grant after McGinlay's dummy created the opening on the right.

Frenetic rather than finesse would best sum up the play for most of the second half. True Celtic had by far the greater share of possession, but it counted for little when it came to making chances. Long range pop shots which at no stage troubled Alan Main was the best they could manage. Three minutes from the end, Celtic stepped up their efforts with McGinlay almost scoring when he hooked Donnelly's downward header against the bar.

United players and fans barely had time to breath a sigh of relief before Celtic were to get the goal that decided the match. John Collins drifted into the corner of the penalty box from the left and superbly curled the ball into the top right-hand corner of the box. With just a couple of minutes remaining, there was no way back for the Tangerines as our Coca-Cola Cup hopes fell flat.

Golac commented, "The boys did well and I have no complaints and it took a world class goal from John Collins to beat us"

<< Previous Match Next Match >>
Programme cover / Team sheet