Celtic 3 - 1 Dundee Utd

Scottish Cup - Semi Final
Sunday, April 15th, 2001, 2:00 PM at Hampden Park
Attendance: 38,699
Referee: Hugh Dallas
Celtic Dundee Utd

Henrik Larsson (32)
Henrik Larsson (pen.) (79)
Jackie McNamara (80)
Derek Lilley (84)

Team Managers
Martin O'Neill Alex Smith

Starting Eleven
Rab Douglas
Johan Mjallby
Ramon Vega
Joos Valgaeren
Didier Agathe
Neil Lennon
Paul Lambert
Lubomir Moravcik
Alan Thompson
Chris Sutton
Henrik Larsson
Paul Gallacher
Jamie McCunnie
Jason De Vos
Danny Griffin
Jim Lauchlan
Charlie Miller
Craig Easton
David Hannah
Jamie Buchan
Derek Lilley
Steven Thompson

Jonathan Gould
Colin Healy
Tommy Johnson
Jackie McNamara
Tom Boyd
Alan Combe
David Partridge
Tassos Venetis
David Winters
Jim Hamilton

Jackie McNamara for Lubomir Moravcik (67)
Tom Boyd for John Mjallby (85)
Tommy Johnson for Chris Sutton (85)
Jim Hamilton for Craig Easton (72)
David Partridge for Jamie McCunnie (85)

None. David Partridge
Derek Lilley

Red Cards
None. None.
Appearances & Goals To Date
Paul Gallacher (GK) 15 apps -
Jamie McCunnie 15 apps -
Jason De Vos 108 apps2 goals
Danny Griffin 17 apps1 goal
Jim Lauchlan 23 apps3 goals
Charlie Miller 24 apps5 goals
Craig Easton 147 apps10 goals
David Hannah 156 apps24 goals
Jamie Buchan 36 apps -
Derek Lilley 17 apps5 goals
Steven Thompson 99 apps11 goals
David Partridge (sub) 58 apps -
Jim Hamilton (sub) 36 apps6 goals

Starting Lineup
Youngest Player:Jamie McCunnie (18 years 5 days)
Oldest Player:David Hannah (27 years 261 days)
Average Player Age:23 years 353 days
Domestic Players:9 (81.82 % of starting eleven)

Matchday Squad
Youngest Player:Jamie McCunnie (18 years 5 days)
Oldest Player:David Hannah (27 years 261 days)
Average Player Age:23 years 216 days
Domestic Players:12 (75.00 % of matchday squad)

First Team Debuts


Following the 1-1 draw with Hearts the previous week boss Alex Smith stuck with the same starting eleven as they aimed for an 8th appearance in the Scottish Cup Final. Steven Thompson and Derek Lilley were paired in attack while it was a notable occasion for Jamie McCunnie who was celebrating his 18th birthday.

After withstanding a period of early pressure Unitedís fans, clearly intent on spurring on their side, were off of their seats in 10 minutes when Charlie Miller surged forward to strike from 25 yards, but unfortunately his effort flew over the bar. In 15 minutes United seemed to have strong claims for a penalty kick when Derek Lilley was downed in the box, but the referee saw it differently and awarded Celtic a free kick. In 16 minutes, after the first period of sustained pressure from Celtic, Joos Valgaeren blasted over then a minute later Paul Lambert was given a warning from the referee after chopping down Miller in the middle of the park. In 22 minutes Jason de Vos was the toast of his team mates after a timely challenge blocked a Chris Sutton effort at the edge of the box. United escaped in 26 minutes when a powerful Sutton header crashed back off the crossbar and out to safety. United were weathering the storm with some resolute defending, but needed to show more in attack if there was any hope of winning the match. Disaster then struck for the Terrors when in 30 minutes Henrik Larsson headed home from close range to give Celtic the lead. Unitedís response was immediate and they forced a couple of corners, but the Glasgow side managed to clear both. Miller did well in 37 minutes when he fed McCunnie the ball on the right. The youngster steadied himself before delivering a dangerous cross to the back post but Robert Douglas won the aerial battle and held. Lilley was then shoved in the back to win a free-kick in 43 minutes, from which a poor Danny Griffinís delivery was headed clear by Neil Lennon.

The early stages of the second half saw United enjoy their best spell of the match, with a lot more purpose shown going forward. A couple of corners and some neat play in and around the box gave the Tangerine Army some excitement before Lilley was the first player to be booked, when in 51 minutes he was judged to have unfairly challenged Lambert. Once again United were on the attack with Thompson running down the right, but his cross was carried out by the wind. In 56 minutes, Larsson tried his luck from 18 yards with a curling left-footed effort which Paul Gallacher was relieved to see go wide. In 62 minutes, United fans were on their feet once more when great play by Griffin and Miller freed Jamie Buchan on the left. His cross beat the keeper but was also just too deep for Lilley at the back post. United were well on top at this stage, reminding Celtic that the tie was far from over. Celtic swapped Lubo Moravcik for Jackie McNamara in 67 minutes. In 72 minutes United made a change as they looked to grab a leveller. Craig Easton made way for a more attacking formation, with Jim Hamilton coming on to give United three in up top. Hamilton almost scored straight away when his toe-poke from close range was deflected wide for a corner. For all the hard work that United had put in, it just seemed that it wasn't to be the Tangerines day when Griffin tripped Henrik Larsson in the box to give Celtic a penalty in 77 minutes. The Swede converted to make it 2-0. The roof then caved in on United, as Jackie McNamara shot past Gallacher to make it 3-0 just a minute later. At last there was something for the fans to cheer in 86 minutes when Derek Lilley got on the end of Buchanís pass to nip the ball away from the toes of Douglas and place the ball into an empty net. United immediately made another substitution, bringing on David Partridge for McCunnie. The final whistle signalled the end of Unitedís Cup run, despite a brave second half performance. While the cup dream was over for another year the backing from the United fans at Hampden was outstanding and the players efforts were appreciated by them at full time despite the obvious disappointment.

<< Previous Match Next Match >>
Programme cover / Team sheet

Ticket stub / Admission info