Aberdeen 0 - 3 Dundee Utd

League Cup - Final Replay
Wednesday, December 12th, 1979, 7:30 PM at Dens Park
Attendance: 28,984
Referee: Brian McGinlay (Balfron)
Aberdeen Dundee Utd

None. Willie Pettigrew (15)
Willie Pettigrew (65)
Paul Sturrock (79)

Team Managers
Alex Ferguson Jim McLean

Starting Eleven
Bobby Clark
Stuart Kennedy
Doug Rougvie
Alex McLeish
Willie Garner
Willie Miller
Gordon Strachan
Steve Archibald
Mark McGhee
John McMaster
Ian Scanlon
Hamish McAlpine
Dave Narey
John Holt
Derek Stark
Paul Hegarty
Frank Kopel
Eamonn Bannon
George Fleming
Billy Kirkwood
Paul Sturrock
Willie Pettigrew

Drew Hamilton
Drew Jarvie
Iain Phillip
Graeme Payne

Drew Hamilton for Ian Scanlon
Drew Jarvie for Mark McGhee

Appearances & Goals To Date
Hamish McAlpine (GK) 388 apps3 goals
Dave Narey 262 apps19 goals
John Holt 92 apps6 goals
Derek Stark 61 apps2 goals
Paul Hegarty 218 apps39 goals
Frank Kopel 322 apps13 goals
Eamonn Bannon 9 apps1 goal
George Fleming 325 apps37 goals
Billy Kirkwood 106 apps27 goals
Paul Sturrock 199 apps53 goals
Willie Pettigrew 28 apps12 goals

Starting Lineup
Youngest Player:Derek Stark (21 years 28 days)
Oldest Player:Hamish McAlpine (31 years 333 days)
Average Player Age:25 years 143 days
Domestic Players:11 (100.00 % of starting eleven)

Matchday Squad
Youngest Player:Derek Stark (21 years 28 days)
Oldest Player:Hamish McAlpine (31 years 333 days)
Average Player Age:25 years 108 days
Domestic Players:13 (100.00 % of matchday squad)

First Team Debuts


United made two changes from the side that earned a draw in the first match at Hampden. Fleming and Kirkwood replaced Phillip and Payne. Over 28,000 squeezed into Dens Park for this League Cup Final replay and those of a United persuasion were left exhilarated, seeing their side win their first major trophy.

United were a much changed side in terms of their approach to this game. Confident attacking football was the order of the night. They dominated the game from start to finish. It only took 15 minutes for the tangerines to do what they failed to do in 120 minutes at Hampden. Derek Stark arrowed in a low cross and Willie Pettigrew was on hand to steal in between a ruck of players to fire home the opening goal.

It wasn't until the 65th when United were able to double their lead. Again, it was Willie Pettigrew who scored, getting his head to a Sturrock cross to effectively finish the game.

However, United were not content to hold their lead and made it 3-0 eleven minutes later. Paul Sturrock raced clear after springing the Aberdeen off-side trap and after a 40 yard run, beat 'keeper Clark to send the Arabs into raptures.

They had done it! A first major trophy for United after 70 years....

<< Previous Match Next Match >>
Programme cover / Team sheet