Dundee Utd 0 - 0 Aberdeen

(After extra time)
League Cup - Final
Saturday, December 8th, 1979, 3:00 PM at Hampden Park
Attendance: 27,156
Referee: Brian McGinlay (Balfron)
Dundee Utd  Aberdeen

None. None.

Team Managers
Jim McLean
Alex Ferguson

Starting Eleven
Hamish McAlpine
John Holt
Paul Hegarty
Frank Kopel
Dave Narey
Iain Phillip
Derek Stark
Eamonn Bannon
Paul Sturrock
Graeme Payne
Willie Pettigrew
Bobby Clark
Stuart Kennedy
Doug Rougvie
Alex McLeish
Willie Garner
Willie Miller
Gordon Strachan
Steve Archibald
Mark McGhee
John McMaster
Ian Scanlon

George Fleming
Steve Murray
Drew Hamilton
Drew Jarvie

George Fleming for Iain Phillip
Steve Murray for Graeme Payne
Drew Hamilton for John McMaster
Drew Jarvie for Mark McGhee

Appearances & Goals To Date
Hamish McAlpine (GK) 387 apps3 goals
John Holt 91 apps6 goals
Paul Hegarty 217 apps39 goals
Frank Kopel 321 apps13 goals
Dave Narey 261 apps19 goals
Iain Phillip 34 apps1 goal
Derek Stark 60 apps2 goals
Eamonn Bannon 8 apps1 goal
Paul Sturrock 198 apps52 goals
Graeme Payne 222 apps13 goals
Willie Pettigrew 27 apps10 goals
George Fleming (sub) 324 apps37 goals
Steve Murray (sub) 3 apps -

Starting Lineup
Youngest Player:Derek Stark (21 years 24 days)
Oldest Player:Hamish McAlpine (31 years 329 days)
Average Player Age:25 years 39 days
Domestic Players:11 (100.00 % of starting eleven)

Matchday Squad
Youngest Player:Derek Stark (21 years 24 days)
Oldest Player:Steve Murray (35 years 68 days)
Average Player Age:26 years 129 days
Domestic Players:13 (100.00 % of matchday squad)

First Team Debuts


The New Firm pairing defied awful underfoot conditions to entertain a sparsely occupied Hampden Park in the League Cup final. This was the lowest ever League Cup final attendance but those that travelled must have felt it was worthwhile.

Aberdeen had the better of this match, which lasted a full 120 minutes, but United probably deserved another crack of the whip in the replay. Jim McLean bemoaned his midfield, stating that they were completely outplayed by Aberdeen. However, the 13 United players who took part in this final refused to concede defat under heavy Aberdeen pressure.

United were actually first to settle into this match but were unable to create any significant chances. After that initial burst, Aberdeen came more into the game with Archibald and McGhee a constant menace to the United defence.

Aberdeen had a couple of good chances that fell to their centre-half Willie Garner but he failed to capitalise. United's only real chance fell to Sturrock, but when the ball arrived to him in the box he was facing the wrong way and the opportunity evaporated.

Extra-time failed to produce a goal and for the first time ever a Scottish League Cup final will be staged at a ground other than Hampden. The replay to go ahead at Dens Park.

<< Previous Match Next Match >>
Programme cover / Team sheet