Dundee Utd 1 - 0 Rangers

Scottish Cup - Quarter Final Replay
Wednesday, March 24th, 2010, 7:45 PM at Tannadice Park
Attendance: 11,898
Referee: Dougie McDonald
Dundee Utd  Rangers

David Robertson (90)

Team Managers
Peter Houston
Walter Smith

Starting Eleven
Dušan Perniš
Mihael Kovačević
Garry Kenneth
Darren Dods
Seán Dillon
Morgaro Gomis
David Robertson
Prince Buaben
Craig Conway
Jon Daly
David Goodwillie
Allan McGregor
David Weir
Sasa Papac
Steven Whittaker
Danny Wilson
Maurice Edu
DaMarcus Beasley
Steven Naismith
Kyle Lafferty
John Fleck
Andy Little

Steve Banks
Keith Watson
Jennison Myrie-Williams
Danny Swanson
Andis Shala
Neil Alexander
Nacho Novo
Kris Boyd
Kenny Miller
Steven Smith

Keith Watson for Mihael Kovačević (45)
Danny Swanson for Morgaro Gomis (73)
Nacho Novo for John Fleck (69)
Kenny Miller for Kyle Lafferty (76)
Kris Boyd for Andy Little (90)

Garry Kenneth (32)
David Robertson (35)
David Goodwillie (90)
Steven Naismith (80)

Red Cards
None. None.
Appearances & Goals To Date
Dušan Perniš (GK) 15 apps -
Mihael Kovačević 53 apps1 goal
Seán Dillon 110 apps2 goals
Garry Kenneth 119 apps6 goals
Darren Dods 90 apps6 goals
Morgaro Gomis 130 apps6 goals
David Robertson 103 apps16 goals
Prince Buaben 88 apps7 goals
Craig Conway 128 apps10 goals
David Goodwillie 78 apps16 goals
Jon Daly 70 apps20 goals
Keith Watson (sub) 3 apps -
Danny Swanson (sub) 78 apps5 goals

Starting Lineup
Youngest Player:David Goodwillie (21 years 1 days)
Oldest Player:Darren Dods (34 years 299 days)
Average Player Age:24 years 364 days
Domestic Players:5 (45.45 % of starting eleven)

Matchday Squad
Youngest Player:Keith Watson (20 years 135 days)
Oldest Player:Steve Banks (38 years 53 days)
Average Player Age:24 years 364 days
Domestic Players:7 (43.75 % of matchday squad)

First Team Debuts


Peter Houston made two changes to the United line up for the Scottish Cup replay against Rangers. Darren Dods came in for the ineligible Andy Webster and there was a starting place for David Robertson with Danny Swanson dropping to the bench. Surprisingly the visitors started without Boyd, Miller and Novo all of whom were listed as substitutes.

United started the game full of intent and with a minute on the clock McGregor made a great save from Daly. A minute later United went close again when a long throw from Kenneth found Conway who shot narrowly wide. John Fleck then threatened for Rangers but after beating three United men his shot was blocked and cleared to safety. Shortly after that United were almost in front when Kovacevic, who had scored in the first game to force the replay, lobbed McGregor from the edge of the penalty area but once again the ball just missed the target. United were really playing well and with 25 minutes on the clock Kenneth launched another long throw into the Rangers box and the ball landed at the feet of Buaben who tried to lob the ball over McGregor but unfortunately the ball landed on the top of the net. United were then desperately unlucky not to be in front. David Goodwillie did superbly on the right for United and he squared the ball into the penalty area and the ball deflected off Naismith and just missed going into the corner of the net. The main talking point of the half took place on the half hour mark when a clever free kick was sent in from Conway. The ball landed on the head of Daly who headed goal bound only for the ball to strike the arm of Lafferty and go out for a corner kick. In the aftermath Garry Kenneth was cautioned for protesting. David Robertson then followed him into the referees notebook for a late tackle on Maurice Edu. Andrew Little then hit the side netting after being set up by Naismith however the young Irishman was in an offside position. The last action of the half saw Kovacevic make a fine saving challenge on Fleck however at the same time he suffered a hamstring injury and unfortunately he had to make way with young Keith Watson taking his place.

A minute after the restart the dangerous Conway again created another chance for United but his low cross just failed to find a tangerine shirt. Ten minutes later the former Ayr United man then tried his luck from 20 yards but despite deflecting off David Robertson the ball was well handled by McGregor. Kyle Lafferty then made a surging run into the United box but he was undone but a great saving challenge from Darren Dods. Rangers then made their first change of the evening when Novo came on for John Fleck. Rangers were now looking more threatening and with 20 minutes left a dipping shot from Lafferty just cleared the crossbar. Morgaro Gomis had put in a good shift for United but his niggling injury caught up with him and he was replaced by Swanson with 18 minutes left. Just after that Rangers had a good chance to break the dealock when Beasley squared to the unmarked Little who fortunately for United miss-hit his shot and Pernis gathered easily. With a quarter of an hour remaining Rangers showed just what a strong squad they have when Kenny Miller came on in place of Lafferty. With 10 minutes remaining Naismith was booked for the visitors when he over protested after fouling Craig Conway. Almost immediately Miller threatened when he was set up by Novo but Pernis did well to save from the Scotland front man. Beasley then sent in a cross that the United keeper did well to flick clear and this was followed by a great chance for United when Dods had a free header in the box that he sent well wide. United must have thought they were destined for extra time when first of all Goodwillie had the ball in the net after being set up by Daly but the United man was harshly ruled to be in an offside position. Then just after that Robertson swung in a cross that Daly headed but McGregor pulled off a world class save. However the play continued and when the ball was lofted back into the Rangers penalty area David Robertson challenged McGregor and the ball spun off the United man and ended up in the back of the net to send the home support wild. There were a nervous remaining few minutes before the referee blew for full time to hand United a famous win and a place in the Scottish Cup semi final.


<< Previous Match Next Match >>
Programme cover / Team sheet