Kilmarnock 2 - 3 Dundee Utd

League - Premier Division
Saturday, February 22nd, 1997, 3:00 PM at Rugby Park
Attendance: 6,054
Referee: Bobby Orr (Kilbarchan)
Kilmarnock Dundee Utd

Maurice Malpas (o.g.) (4)
Paul Wright (69)
Ray McKinnon (45)
Ray McKinnon (65)
Ray McKinnon (75)

Team Managers
Bobby Williamson Tommy McLean

Starting Eleven
Dragoje Leković
Gus McPherson
Alan Kerr
Ray Montgomerie
Kevin McGowne
Mark Reilly
Ally Mitchell
John Henry
Paul Wright
Tom Brown
Alex Burke
Sieb Dijkstra
David Sinclair
Erik Pedersen
Steven Pressley
Maurice Malpas
Ray McKinnon
Jamie Dolan
Lars Zetterlund
Dave Bowman
Robbie Winters
Kjell Olofsson

Colin McKee
Jim McIntyre
Derek Anderson
Mark Perry
Andy McLaren
Gary McSwegan

Jim McIntyre for Ally Mitchell (42)
Derek Anderson for Alan Kerr (71)
Colin McKee for Tom Brown (78)
Mark Perry for David Sinclair (46)
Gary McSwegan for Dave Bowman (46)
Andy McLaren for Kjell Olofsson (76)

Alan Kerr (60)
Derek Anderson (90)
David Sinclair (19)

Red Cards
None. None.
Appearances & Goals To Date
Sieb Dijkstra (GK) 15 apps -
David Sinclair 3 apps -
Erik Pedersen 19 apps -
Steven Pressley 76 apps4 goals
Maurice Malpas 723 apps25 goals
Ray McKinnon 99 apps13 goals
Jamie Dolan 7 apps -
Lars Zetterlund 19 apps -
Dave Bowman 394 apps12 goals
Robbie Winters 90 apps20 goals
Kjell Olofsson 20 apps9 goals
Mark Perry (sub) 102 apps3 goals
Andy McLaren (sub) 149 apps9 goals
Gary McSwegan (sub) 58 apps25 goals

Starting Lineup
Youngest Player:Robbie Winters (22 years 116 days)
Oldest Player:Maurice Malpas (34 years 212 days)
Average Player Age:29 years 22 days
Domestic Players:7 (63.64 % of starting eleven)

Matchday Squad
Youngest Player:Robbie Winters (22 years 116 days)
Oldest Player:Maurice Malpas (34 years 212 days)
Average Player Age:28 years 102 days
Domestic Players:10 (71.43 % of matchday squad)

First Team Debuts


It isn't often that both managers agree that the wrong side won, but both Tommy Mclean and Bobby Williamson were in agreement. The home side struggling to avoid the drop had a better start when Maurice Malpas sent a glancing header past his own keeper as he stretched to make contact with Burke's cross.

Whilst United might have equalised right away, Winters knocking a Kjell Olafsson cross narrowly wide of the near post, the action mainly centred around Sieb Dykstra. The Dutchman kept us in the contest with some great saves. United appeared fortunate to be trailing by only a goal at the interval, however the clouds lifted as Ray McKinnon scored the first of what was to be a unique hat-trick.

McGowne fouled Kjell Qlofsson out on the right hand side of the box. Ray curled a right-foot shot into the top left-hand corner to give United an equaliser, their first half display didn't deserve.

Dave Bowman and David Sinclair drafted into the side didn't appear after the break and were replaced by Mark Perry and Gary McSwegan. Twenty minutes into the second half, another free-kick, this time more centrally located after MacPherson had fouled Jamie Dolan enabled Ray McKinnon to produce a complete action replay of his first. Lekovic did likewise, failing to move a muscle as the ball sailed info the net.

But the United defence which had an unusually uncomfortable afternoon were caught out four minutes later when Henry crossed from the right and Paul Wright headed into the far comer for a deserved leveller.

However, six minutes later the match took another twist. Gary McSwegan bearing in on goal was wrestled to the ground by McGowne and quite unbelievably Ray McKinnon scored his third free-kick, this time going low into the opposite corner with the keeper getting the merest of touches to the ball.

United may have run out winners, it was hard not to feel sorry for the home side.

<< Previous Match Next Match >>
Programme cover / Team sheet