Stirling Albion 1 - 2 Dundee Utd

League Cup - 2nd Round
Tuesday, August 13th, 1996, 7:30 PM at Forthbank Stadium
Attendance: 1,673
Referee: Bobby Orr (Kilbarchan)
Stirling Albion Dundee Utd

John Gibson (26) Robbie Winters (1)
Owen Coyle (80)

Team Managers
Kevin Drinkell Billy Kirkwood

Starting Eleven
Mark McGeown
Andy Paterson
Paul Deas
John Gibson
Ronnie McQuilter
Gary Paterson
Alex Bone
Steven Jack
Steve McCormick
Craig Taggart
Joe McLeod
Ally Maxwell
Rab Shannon
Steven Pressley
Jamie McQuilken
Mark Perry
Armand Benneker
Neil Duffy
Dave Bowman
Grant Johnson
Gary McSwegan
Robbie Winters

David Wood
Neil Bennett
Paul Watson
Lance Key
Ray McKinnon
Owen Coyle

David Wood for Joe McLeod (69)
Neil Bennett for David Wood (75)
Ray McKinnon for Grant Johnson (46)
Owen Coyle for Robbie Winters (75)

None. None.

Red Cards
None. None.
Appearances & Goals To Date
Ally Maxwell (GK) 45 apps -
Rab Shannon 39 apps1 goal
Steven Pressley 47 apps2 goals
Jamie McQuilken 15 apps -
Mark Perry 73 apps3 goals
Armand Benneker 2 apps -
Neil Duffy 2 apps -
Dave Bowman 371 apps12 goals
Grant Johnson 94 apps11 goals
Gary McSwegan 33 apps18 goals
Robbie Winters 61 apps13 goals
Ray McKinnon (sub) 79 apps7 goals
Owen Coyle (sub) 36 apps10 goals

Starting Lineup
Youngest Player:Robbie Winters (21 years 288 days)
Oldest Player:Dave Bowman (32 years 164 days)
Average Player Age:26 years 233 days
Domestic Players:10 (90.91 % of starting eleven)

Matchday Squad
Youngest Player:Robbie Winters (21 years 288 days)
Oldest Player:Dave Bowman (32 years 164 days)
Average Player Age:26 years 351 days
Domestic Players:11 (78.57 % of matchday squad)

First Team Debuts

Owen Coyle reached 10 goals for the Club.

United did just enough to edge out the First Division newcomers who made the Tangerines fight every inch of the way to secure victory on the Club's first ever visit to Forthbank. Not even the boost of a double-quick fire goal turned this tie into a formality. Just 19 seconds were on the stop-watch when Robbie Winters ran in Gary McSwegan's cross from six yards after Jamie McQuilken had created the opening. Chances to ensure a smooth passage came and went as United dominated the opening 25 minutes. Mark McGeown pulled off a fine save to deny Neil Duffy from his shot on the turn and Gary McSwegan shot past after intelligently engineering space for himself. Midway through the half a netbound effort from Armand Benneker was blocked close to qoal. Yet, in what was Stirling's first shot on target, they equalised, John Gibson taking a return pass from Steve McCormick to sweep the ball home from ten yards in the 26th minute. A header from Robbie Winters which was blocked was United's riposte, but the early fluency had now deserted the Tangerines, although Gary McSwegan was unlucky to see his angled effort come back off the face of the bar immediately before the interval.

It continued to be hard going for United in the second period and Stirling looked to be taking the tie into extra-time when Owen Coyle pounced on a error by Gary Paterson, whose pass-back was woefully short, enabling the United substitute to run in on goal and stroke the ball to the keeper's right from the edge of the box. The result apart, there was little else to comfort those with Tannadice affiliations other than the fact that we were not amongst the large band of clubs to suffer the ignominy of defeat at the hands of lower division clubs that night!

<< Previous Match Next Match >>
Programme cover / Team sheet