Dundee Utd 2 - 1 Queen's Park

League Cup - 3rd Round 2nd Leg
Wednesday, October 10th, 1979, 7:00 PM at Tannadice Park
Attendance: 3,395
Referee: Hugh Alexander (Irvine)
Dundee Utd  Queen's Park

Paul Sturrock (pen.) (46)
Davie Dodds (88)
Matt Thomson (38)

Team Managers
Jim McLean
Eddie Hunter

Starting Eleven
Hamish McAlpine
Iain Phillip
Derek Stark
Paul Hegarty
Frank Kopel
Dave Narey
George Fleming
Billy Kirkwood
Davie Dodds
Willie Pettigrew
Graeme Payne
Derek Atkins
Robert McSkimming
Bobby Dickson
Brian Reynolds
Alistair Bowie
John McGregor
Derek Wood
Jim Gillespie
Jim Nicholson
Matt Thomson
Alan Irvine

Derek Addison
Paul Sturrock
Gerry McCoy
Ross McFarlane

Derek Addison for Derek Stark (15)
Paul Sturrock for Dave Narey (25)
Gerry McCoy for Matt Thomson
Ross McFarlane for Derek Wood

Appearances & Goals To Date
Hamish McAlpine (GK) 374 apps3 goals
Iain Phillip 23 apps -
Derek Stark 47 apps2 goals
Paul Hegarty 205 apps37 goals
Frank Kopel 308 apps12 goals
Dave Narey 249 apps19 goals
George Fleming 313 apps35 goals
Billy Kirkwood 98 apps24 goals
Davie Dodds 56 apps16 goals
Willie Pettigrew 14 apps6 goals
Graeme Payne 212 apps13 goals
Derek Addison (sub) 104 apps12 goals
Paul Sturrock (sub) 185 apps49 goals

Starting Lineup
Youngest Player:Derek Stark (20 years 330 days)
Oldest Player:Hamish McAlpine (31 years 270 days)
Average Player Age:25 years 174 days
Domestic Players:11 (100.00 % of starting eleven)

Matchday Squad
Youngest Player:Derek Stark (20 years 330 days)
Oldest Player:Hamish McAlpine (31 years 270 days)
Average Player Age:25 years 71 days
Domestic Players:13 (100.00 % of matchday squad)

First Team Debuts


United qualified for the last eight of the Bell's League Cup by virtue of the 2-1 (5-1 on aggregate) win over Queen's Park in mid-week. However, the performance was far from being what was expected from a Premier League outfit with chances once again being scorned against a brave Amateurs defence.

3-0 up after the first leg at Hampden, Willie Pettigrew came close with a 20 yard drive before defenders Dave Narey and Derek Stark both had to go off early with a head injuries. On 27 minutes Pettigrew was brought down in the box and United were awarded a penalty, but Pettigrew saw his spot kick saved by Atkins. Six minutes before the break Matt Thomson raced in on a Hegarty clearance and lashed in a 15 yarder to give Queen's a shock lead.

Two minutes into the second half, substitute Paul Sturrock levelled things from our second spot-kick of the night after Dodds had been fouled in a tangle of legs, and Davie Dodds spared the blushes with a winner just four minutes from the end, blasting home after Atkins had pushed Pettigrew's cross on to the underside of the bar.


<< Previous Match Next Match >>
Programme cover / Team sheet