Partick Thistle 1 - 2 Dundee Utd

League Cup - Section 4
Wednesday, August 19th, 1981, 7:30 PM at Firhill
Attendance: 1,805
Referee: George Smith (Edinburgh)
Partick Thistle Dundee Utd

Maurice Johnston (87) Paul Sturrock (10)
Eamonn Bannon (38)

Team Managers
Peter Cormack Jim McLean

Starting Eleven
Alan Rough
Dave MacKinnon
John Lapsley
Brian Whittaker
Jackie Campbell
Kenny Watson
Iain Jardine
Alex O'Hara
Tony Higgins
Jamie Doyle
George Clark
Hamish McAlpine
Frank Kopel
Richard Gough
Iain Phillip
Dave Narey
John Holt
Derek Stark
Ralph Milne
Eamonn Bannon
Willie Pettigrew
Paul Sturrock

Maurice Johnston
Ian McDonald
Paul Hegarty
Davie Dodds

None. Davie Dodds for Willie Pettigrew

Brian Whittaker None.

Red Cards
None. None.
Appearances & Goals To Date
Hamish McAlpine (GK) 471 apps3 goals
Frank Kopel 394 apps13 goals
Richard Gough 7 apps1 goal
Iain Phillip 102 apps1 goal
Dave Narey 342 apps22 goals
John Holt 149 apps11 goals
Derek Stark 124 apps3 goals
Ralph Milne 54 apps13 goals
Eamonn Bannon 90 apps21 goals
Willie Pettigrew 86 apps34 goals
Paul Sturrock 280 apps81 goals
Davie Dodds (sub) 121 apps45 goals

Starting Lineup
Youngest Player:Richard Gough (19 years 141 days)
Oldest Player:Hamish McAlpine (33 years 219 days)
Average Player Age:25 years 230 days
Domestic Players:11 (100.00 % of starting eleven)

Matchday Squad
Youngest Player:Richard Gough (19 years 141 days)
Oldest Player:Hamish McAlpine (33 years 219 days)
Average Player Age:25 years 194 days
Domestic Players:13 (100.00 % of matchday squad)

First Team Debuts


For United's third League Cup group match, youngsters Ralph Milne and Richard Gough were drafted into the starting eleven, with Graeme Payne and Davie Dodds dropping out. Skipper Paul Hegarty, who had been affected by an injury picked up back in April, was given a place on the bench for his first involvement of the season.

Thistle started the brighter, with George Clark seeing his 25 yard drive magnificently tipped over by Hamish McAlpine in the ninth minute. United answered that threat by taking the lead a minute later. Eamonn Bannon swung in a free-kick to the far post and Paul Sturrock, running in behind the defence, blasted a shot high into the net from a few yards out. In the 22nd minute United almost grabbed a second, when John Lapsley was short with a pass-back. Willie Pettigrew back-heeled to Milne, but the midfielder didn't connect right and Alan Rough gathered easily. McAlpine then saved from Higgins as Thistle pushed for an equaliser, but United went further ahead six minutes before the interval. Sturrock romped down the right and lofted over a cross to the unmarked Eamonn Bannon who headered past Rough.

United kept a firm grip on the game during the second half, dealing easily with most of Thistle's efforts to get back into the game. The Glasgow side did manage to pull one back three minutes from the end, when 18 year old Maurice Johnston, making his debut from the bench, scored with a left foot drive. It was too little too late for Partick, and Brian Whittaker was booked for a foul on Sturrock before the end. United maintained their 100% start to the season, with four wins out of four in their League Cup group.

<< Previous Match Next Match >>