Dundee Utd 1 - 1 Inverness Caledonian Thistle

League - SPL
Saturday, February 14th, 2009, 3:00 PM at Tannadice Park
Attendance: 5,926
Referee: Craig Thomson
Dundee Utd  Inverness Caledonian Thistle

Lee Wilkie (79)
Eric Odhiambo (16)

Team Managers
Craig Levein
Craig Brewster

Starting Eleven
Lukasz Załuska
Paul Dixon
Lee Wilkie
Mihael Kovačević
Garry Kenneth
Prince Buaben
Craig Conway
Morgaro Gomis
Paul Caddis
Jon Daly
Fran Sandaza
Ryan Esson
Ross Tokely
Pavels Mihadjuks
Grant Munro
Lionel Djebi-Zadi
David Proctor
Russell Duncan
Ian Black
Richie Foran
Eric Odhiambo
Dougie Imrie

Michael McGovern
Danny Grainger
SeŠn Dillon
David Robertson
Danny Swanson
Andis Shala
Warren Feeney
Michael Fraser
Adam Rooney
Roy McBain
Richard Hastings
Richie Byrne
Garry Wood
Brian Kerr

Danny Swanson for Mihael Kovačević (51)
Warren Feeney for Fran Sandaza (78)
Andis Shala for Jon Daly (78)
Adam Rooney for Eric Odhiambo (68)
Roy McBain for Dougie Imrie (73)
Garry Wood for Richie Foran (83)

Fran Sandaza (62)
Richie Foran (49)
Roy McBain (78)

Red Cards
None. Russell Duncan (71)
Appearances & Goals To Date
Lukasz Załuska (GK) 50 apps -
Paul Dixon 22 apps1 goal
Lee Wilkie 81 apps9 goals
Mihael Kovačević 17 apps -
Garry Kenneth 83 apps4 goals
Prince Buaben 42 apps5 goals
Craig Conway 82 apps5 goals
Morgaro Gomis 87 apps2 goals
Paul Caddis 1 app (debut) -
Jon Daly 44 apps11 goals
Fran Sandaza 24 apps6 goals
Danny Swanson (sub) 37 apps2 goals
Warren Feeney (sub) 17 apps5 goals
Andis Shala (sub) 2 apps -

Starting Lineup
Youngest Player:Prince Buaben (20 years 302 days)
Oldest Player:Lee Wilkie (28 years 307 days)
Average Player Age:23 years 227 days
Domestic Players:5 (45.45 % of starting eleven)

Matchday Squad
Youngest Player:Andis Shala (20 years 96 days)
Oldest Player:Lee Wilkie (28 years 307 days)
Average Player Age:23 years 233 days
Domestic Players:7 (38.89 % of matchday squad)

First Team Debuts
Paul Caddis(Signed February 2nd, 2009)

Lukasz Załuska played his 50th major competitive game for the Club.

A second half equaliser from Lee Wilkie was enough to earn United a point in a scrappy encounter at Tannadice. Former United man Eric Odhhiambo had the Caley Jags ahead at the break in a game that also saw the visitors reduced to ten men when Russell Duncan brought down Danny Swanson in a goal scoring position.

After the disappointment of the Scottish Cup exit at the hands of Hamilton, Craig Levein made three changes for the visit of Inverness. New man Paul Caddis and Paul Dixon replaced Sean Dillon and Danny Grainger in defence and there was a starting place for Fran Sandaza who came in for Warren Feeney.

United started the game much the brighter of the two sides and they were unlucky not to be ahead in the opening minutes when Esson made a fine save from Prince Buaben. Following a spell of sustained United pressure, they fell behind on the 16 minute mark when Odhiambo stole in behind the United defence and headed home a Doug Imrie cross. Unitedís reply was instant and they should have been level when Daly headed a Conway cross into the path of Wilkie but the ball was cleared for a corner. Just after the half hour mark there was a huge shout for a penalty when Djebi-Zadi pulled back Sandaza but referee Craig Thomson controversially waved play on. Towards the end of the half Caley had a fine chance to double their lead but Zaluska did well to thwart Imrie.

In the early stages of the second period it was the visitors who looked the more likely to add to their advantage and on two occasions Doug Imrie had shots that just missed the target. With 20 minutes of the match remaining, the game burst in to life again. Swanson won the ball on the half way line and homed in on goal. As he made his way past the final defender into a goal scoring position Russell Duncan upended the United man and the Caley defender was shown a straight red card. From then on it was all United and finally, with 10 minutes left, United drew level when Shala flicked on a cross and Lee Wilkie managed to bundle the ball home. United threw all they could at the ten men and Danny Swanson was unlucky with several balls into the penalty area. In the end the visitors held on and they were the happier of the two teams when the referee blew the final whistle.


<< Previous Match Next Match >>
Programme cover / Team sheet