Hamilton Academical 2 - 1 Dundee Utd

Scottish Cup - 5th Round
Saturday, February 7th, 2009, 3:00 PM at New Douglas Park
Attendance: 3,058
Referee: Charlie Richmond
Hamilton Academical Dundee Utd

Chris Swailes (47)
Chris Swailes (56)
Danny Grainger (34)

Team Managers
Billy Reid Craig Levein

Starting Eleven
Tom√°¬ö Čern√Ĺ
Trent McClenahan
Chris Swailes
Martin Canning
James Gibson
Rocco Quinn
Simon Mensing
Alex Neil
James McCarthy
Brian Easton
Kenny Deuchar
Lukasz Załuska
Garry Kenneth
Lee Wilkie
Mihael Kovačević
Danny Grainger
SeŠn Dillon
Prince Buaben
Craig Conway
Morgaro Gomis
Jon Daly
Warren Feeney

Sean Murdoch
Richard Offiong
Jo√ęl Thomas
Paul McGowan
Derek Lyle
Michael McGovern
Paul Dixon
Danny Swanson
David Robertson
Fran Sandaza

Richard Offiong for Kenny Deuchar (50)
Derek Lyle for Rocco Quinn (66)
Danny Swanson for SeŠn Dillon (76)
Fran Sandaza for Warren Feeney (76)
David Robertson for Morgaro Gomis (88)

Richard Offiong (83)
Brian Easton (90)
Craig Conway (53)
Warren Feeney (56)

Red Cards
None. None.
Appearances & Goals To Date
Lukasz Załuska (GK) 49 apps -
Garry Kenneth 82 apps4 goals
SeŠn Dillon 77 apps2 goals
Lee Wilkie 80 apps8 goals
Mihael Kovačević 16 apps -
Danny Grainger 25 apps1 goal
Prince Buaben 41 apps5 goals
Craig Conway 81 apps5 goals
Morgaro Gomis 86 apps2 goals
Jon Daly 43 apps11 goals
Warren Feeney 16 apps5 goals
David Robertson (sub) 80 apps13 goals
Danny Swanson (sub) 36 apps2 goals
Fran Sandaza (sub) 23 apps6 goals

Starting Lineup
Youngest Player:Prince Buaben (20 years 295 days)
Oldest Player:Lee Wilkie (28 years 300 days)
Average Player Age:24 years 151 days
Domestic Players:3 (27.27 % of starting eleven)

Matchday Squad
Youngest Player:Prince Buaben (20 years 295 days)
Oldest Player:Lee Wilkie (28 years 300 days)
Average Player Age:24 years 2 days
Domestic Players:6 (37.50 % of matchday squad)

First Team Debuts


Hamilton Accies secured their position as Unitedís bogey team with a 2-1 victory at New Douglas Park this afternoon. Two second-half goals from Chris Swailes cancelled out a first-half Danny Grainger free-kick to give Accies their second home victory over United this season and dump United out of the cup at the fifth round stage.

Both sides threatened early on. First, James McCarthy saw his shot from inside the United box deflected wide for a corner before Warren Feeney then had a golden opportunity at the other end. Fed the ball by Prince Buaben, Feeney advanced on Thomas Cerny but the Accies keeper saved with his knees to put it wide for a corner.

Hamilton dangerman McCarthy then had another couple of chances. With Zaluska out of his goal, the youngster squared the ball across the box but the ball was cleared. Moments later, he shot well over the bar having done well to make space.

Hamiltonís best chance of the opening 45 came after 16 minutes. A corner from the right was headed back across goal by Swailes to Kenny Deuchar whose header bounced back off the bar and into the path of James Gibson. He took a first-time shot at goal but Lee Wilkie was on the line to deflect it wide.

United went ahead after 34 minutes. McCarthy got himself into trouble midway in his own half as Buaben robbed him of the ball. The United midfielder made for goal but McCarthy bundled him to the ground just outside the box and Charlie Richmond awarded the free kick. At the set piece, Craig Conway rolled the ball to Danny Grainger who struck a low left-foot shot round the wall and into the bottom corner of the net, despite the best efforts of keeper Cerny.

United looked keen to add a second before half time and Morgaro Gomis saw his shot blocked after excellent running by Conway. Grainger then saw his first-time shot from Conwayís corner blocked by Simon Mensing. From the resultant corner, Garry Kenneth headed back across goal from the back post where Feeney stooped to head the ball inches wide from six yards out.

United were to rue those missed chances when, within 10 minutes of the restart, they were behind. On 47 minutes, McCarthy beat Sean Dillon to the byline and cut the ball back across goal where Accies players were queuing up to score. The ball fell to Swailes and he made no mistake as he fired into the top right corner of an empty net.

Eight minutes later, Swailes was on the scoresheet again. He was at the back post to head in a Brian Easton corner from point-blank range. The United players and coaching staff were furious with referee Richmond after he failed to award a free kick for handball in the build-up to the goal and Feeney saw yellow as a result of his continued protests.

It could have been worse for United three minutes later when substitute Richard Offiong was played in by McCarthy but Zaluska was alert enough to block the strikerís shot.

As United chased the game, Craig Levein introduced Danny Swanson and Francisco Sandaza to proceedings, replacing Dillon and Feeney but United were struggling to break down a resolute Accies defence. The best chance of an equaliser fell to Lee Wilkie with five minutes to go. A lovely cross from Gomis found Wilkie in the box but his header was somehow saved on the line by Cerny from point-blank range.

United continued to press in the closing stages as Accies ran the clock down Ė Brian Easton receiving a yellow card for timewasting as they tried to hang on. However, the last action of the game saw Lukasz Zaluskaís header at goal cleared, after the keeper swapped boxes in a desperate attempt to secure an equaliser.

<< Previous Match Next Match >>
Programme cover / Team sheet