Motherwell 1 - 3 Dundee Utd

League Cup - Sectional Tie
Wednesday, September 1st, 1971, 7:30 PM at Fir Park
Attendance: 2,760
Referee: A Crawley (Glasgow)
Motherwell Dundee Utd

Davie Whiteford (pen.) (48) Andy Rolland (54)
Andy Rolland (60)
Alec Reid (69)

Team Managers
Bobby Howitt Jerry Kerr

Starting Eleven
Tommy Burns
Davie Whiteford
Joe Wark
Tom Forsyth
Willie McCallum
John Goldthorp
Alex Martin
Bobby Watson
Dixie Deans
Jackie McInally
Brian Heron
Hamish McAlpine
Andy Rolland
Jim Cameron
Doug Smith
Walter Smith
Tommy Traynor
Billy Gray
Joe Watson
Davie Wilson
Alan Gordon
Kenny Cameron

Davie Main Alec Reid

Davie Main for Bobby Watson Alec Reid for Kenny Cameron

Appearances & Goals To Date
Hamish McAlpine (GK) 37 apps -
Andy Rolland 166 apps15 goals
Jim Cameron 157 apps -
Doug Smith 471 apps9 goals
Walter Smith 36 apps -
Tommy Traynor 38 apps3 goals
Billy Gray 5 apps -
Joe Watson 11 apps -
Davie Wilson 161 apps27 goals
Alan Gordon 86 apps33 goals
Kenny Cameron 91 apps58 goals
Alec Reid (sub) 120 apps15 goals

Starting Lineup
Youngest Player:Joe Watson (19 years 248 days)
Oldest Player:Doug Smith (34 years 184 days)
Average Player Age:27 years 12 days
Domestic Players:10 (90.91 % of starting eleven)

Matchday Squad
Youngest Player:Joe Watson (19 years 248 days)
Oldest Player:Doug Smith (34 years 184 days)
Average Player Age:26 years 298 days
Domestic Players:11 (91.67 % of matchday squad)

First Team Debuts


With United's League Cup campaign all but over, Jerry Kerr made some positional changes, experimenting with Billy Gray at right back, Tommy Traynor at left half and Andy Rolland at inside right for the return trip to play Motherwell at Fir Park.

The first half was largely quiet for both sides, though Motherwell perhaps edged it on chances created. It took until the 48th minute at the start of the second half for the game to burst into life and it did so with a Motherwell penalty. Doug Smith had handled the ball before referee Crawley awarded the spot kick. Davie Whiteford, for Motherwell, did the honours.

The rest of the game belonged to United. Playing further forward than he is accustomed, Andy Rolland equalised for United with a free kick from fully twenty-five yards, leaving Tommy Burns helpless in the Motherwell goal. Rolland added another just six minutes later to hand United the lead, as the continued to assert their authority. The Steelman's defence looked anything but solid as the game progressed and on 69 minutes, United scored a third when Alec Reid found the net. Motherwell threw everything forward in search of a goal towards the end and in goal, Hamish McAlpine was up to the test, saving brilliantly from Brian Heron. Dixie Deans came close when he hit the post, but the score remained the same and United ran out 3-1 winners to record two consolation points in their final League Cup match of the season.

<< Previous Match Next Match >>
Programme cover / Team sheet