Dundee Utd 1 - 0 Kilmarnock

League Cup - Sectional Tie
Saturday, August 14th, 1971, 3:00 PM at Tannadice Park
Attendance: 6,613
Referee: J Grant (Larbert)
Dundee Utd  Kilmarnock

Alec Reid (75)

Team Managers
Jerry Kerr
Walter McCrae

Starting Eleven
Hamish McAlpine
Andy Rolland
Doug Smith
Jim Cameron
Billy Gray
Joe Watson
Jim Henry
Davie Wilson
Alec Reid
Kenny Cameron
Alan Gordon
Ally Hunter
Jim Whyte
Billy Dickson
George Maxwell
Jackie McGrory
Frank Beattie
Jim Cook
Eddie Morrison
Jim McCulloch
Alan MacDonald
Ian Fleming

Walter Smith
Alex Cairns

None. None.

Appearances & Goals To Date
Hamish McAlpine (GK) 32 apps -
Andy Rolland 161 apps13 goals
Doug Smith 466 apps9 goals
Jim Cameron 152 apps -
Billy Gray 1 app (debut) -
Joe Watson 6 apps -
Jim Henry 70 apps6 goals
Davie Wilson 157 apps27 goals
Alec Reid 115 apps14 goals
Kenny Cameron 88 apps56 goals
Alan Gordon 81 apps31 goals

Starting Lineup
Youngest Player:Joe Watson (19 years 230 days)
Oldest Player:Doug Smith (34 years 166 days)
Average Player Age:26 years 210 days
Domestic Players:10 (90.91 % of starting eleven)

Matchday Squad
Youngest Player:Joe Watson (19 years 230 days)
Oldest Player:Doug Smith (34 years 166 days)
Average Player Age:26 years 116 days
Domestic Players:11 (91.67 % of matchday squad)

First Team Debuts
Billy Gray(Signed July 16th, 1971)


For the first game of the new season, manager Jerry Kerr handed new signing Billy Gray his debut as United looked to kick off the campaign with a win in their League Cup opener at home to Kilmarnock.

Joe Watson and Alex Gordon combined early on to threaten the Killie goal, playing Alec Reid in for a shot which rebounded off Alan MacDonald to safety. Only the acrobatics of Ally Hunter in the visitor's goal prevented a rout early on, saving twice following a break and moments later from a fierce Gordon effort. All over the Ayrshire men, United were far and away the dominant side in the first half - only a goal was missing.

As the game progressed into the second half, it looked more and more as if Killie were going to steal a point. Then, fifteen minutes from the end, just as Killie were beginning to make some impression in attack, United made the breakthrough. Frank Beattie, playing his first game since 1969, misjudged a Davie Wilson corner and the ball fell to Alec Reid who hammered the ball high into the roof of the net. Even at that, Killie almost snatched an equaliser when MacDonald hit the bar, but United held on for the win.


<< Previous Match Next Match >>
Programme cover / Team sheet