Dundee Utd 3 - 2 Derby County

Texaco Cup - 1st Round 2nd Leg
Wednesday, September 29th, 1971, 7:30 PM at Tannadice Park
Attendance: 6,000
Referee: Eddie Thomson (Edinburgh)
Dundee Utd  Derby County

Jackie Copland (40)
Alan Devlin (55)
Jackie Copland (67)
Alan Hinton (4)
Barry Butlin (16)

Team Managers
Jerry Kerr
Brian Clough

Starting Eleven
Hamish McAlpine
Stuart Markland
Andy Rolland
Jackie Copland
Jim Cameron
Jim Henry
Alec Reid
Tommy Traynor
Billy Gray
Sandy White
Alan Devlin
Colin Boulton
Peter Daniel
John Robson
Terry Hennessey
Tony Bailey
Archie Gemmill
John McGovern
Frank Wignall
Barry Butlin
Jim Walker
Alan Hinton

Don Mackay
Walter Smith
Roy McFarland
John Turner

Walter Smith for Alan Devlin (70)

Appearances & Goals To Date
Hamish McAlpine (GK) 41 apps -
Stuart Markland 63 apps2 goals
Andy Rolland 172 apps19 goals
Jackie Copland 16 apps4 goals
Jim Cameron 163 apps -
Jim Henry 76 apps6 goals
Alec Reid 125 apps16 goals
Tommy Traynor 41 apps3 goals
Billy Gray 11 apps -
Sandy White 1 app (debut) -
Alan Devlin 9 apps3 goals
Walter Smith (sub) 42 apps -

Starting Lineup
Youngest Player:Alan Devlin (17 years 358 days)
Oldest Player:Andy Rolland (28 years 328 days)
Average Player Age:24 years 69 days
Domestic Players:11 (100.00 % of starting eleven)

Matchday Squad
Youngest Player:Alan Devlin (17 years 358 days)
Oldest Player:Don Mackay (31 years 201 days)
Average Player Age:24 years 259 days
Domestic Players:13 (100.00 % of matchday squad)

First Team Debuts
Sandy White(Signed May 8th, 1971)


With a four goal deficit to overcome from their first leg, it was always going to be an unlikely task for United to advance to the next stage of the Texaco Cup against a strong Derby side. Nevertheless, the manager rang the changes once again following the defeat at Rugby Park in attempt to do so. Making his debut for United, one of the twin brothers from Ballingry, Sandy White, went straight into the starting eleven, along with Jackie Copland, Alan Devlin and Alec Reid. Shaking off any injury concerns following the weekend, Alan Gordon retained his place in attack.

Not surprisingly, Derby scored the first goal of the game after just four minutes when Alan Hinton struck a short free-kick pass into the net. Derby increased their lead just after the quarter hour, Hinton this time the provider for Barry Butlin. It looked as though it would be another of those all too familiar days for Jerry Kerr's United. Then the fightback. Five minutes before the interval Jackie Copland headed a cross from Sandy White to pull a goal back. United had stemmed the tide.

United pushed forward in the second half and they were rewarded when Alan Devlin directed a Tommy Traynor cross into the net. Then in 67 minutes, Jackie Copland gave United the lead. Kerr's men held on to win the game, but ultimately lost the tie on aggregate. United could take some reassurance from the result though as they had recorded their first win in six games.


<< Previous Match Next Match >>
Programme cover / Team sheet