Kilmarnock 4 - 2 Dundee Utd

League Cup - Sectional Tie
Saturday, August 28th, 1971, 3:00 PM at Rugby Park
Attendance: 3,053
Referee: A Macdonald (Livingston)
Kilmarnock Dundee Utd

John Gilmour (11)
John Gilmour (17)
Jim McSherry (60)
Jim McSherry (63)
Kenny Cameron (13)
Alan Gordon (88)

Team Managers
Walter McCrae Jerry Kerr

Starting Eleven
Ally Hunter
Jim Whyte
Billy Dickson
Frank Beattie
Brian Rodman
Jackie McGrory
Jim McSherry
John Gilmour
Jim McCulloch
George Maxwell
Jim Cook
Hamish McAlpine
Walter Smith
Jim Cameron
Andy Rolland
Doug Smith
Jim Henry
Alec Reid
Joe Watson
Tommy Traynor
Alan Gordon
Kenny Cameron

Eddie Morrison Davie Wilson

None. Davie Wilson for Alec Reid

Appearances & Goals To Date
Hamish McAlpine (GK) 36 apps -
Walter Smith 35 apps -
Jim Cameron 156 apps -
Andy Rolland 165 apps13 goals
Doug Smith 470 apps9 goals
Jim Henry 72 apps6 goals
Alec Reid 119 apps14 goals
Joe Watson 10 apps -
Tommy Traynor 37 apps3 goals
Alan Gordon 85 apps33 goals
Kenny Cameron 90 apps58 goals
Davie Wilson (sub) 160 apps27 goals

Starting Lineup
Youngest Player:Joe Watson (19 years 244 days)
Oldest Player:Doug Smith (34 years 180 days)
Average Player Age:25 years 339 days
Domestic Players:10 (90.91 % of starting eleven)

Matchday Squad
Youngest Player:Joe Watson (19 years 244 days)
Oldest Player:Doug Smith (34 years 180 days)
Average Player Age:26 years 178 days
Domestic Players:11 (91.67 % of matchday squad)

First Team Debuts


Still retaining some hope of qualification from the League Cup Section 1, Jerry Kerr made two changes to the side who were heavily beaten at Easter Road. Kenny Cameron returned to the side in place of Ian Reid, while Walter Smith came in for Billy Gray.

Kilmarnock started the better of the two sides, with George Maxwell and Jim Cook linking up well for the former to shoot towards Hamish McAlpine, albeit tamely. The opening goal came shortly after from John Gilmour, the striker heading into the net from a Jim Whyte following an incisive breakaway. United levelled two minutes later though, via a long range Kenny Cameron strike. The lead was again Kilmarnock's five minutes later though as Gilmour met a Jim McSherry cross with a strong header for his second. A hat-trick for the Killie man was narrowly avoided moments later when he headed wide. McAlpine had to be alert as the first half came to a close, saving from both Maxwell and Gilmour in the latter stages.

John Gilmour must have been wondering what he had to do to score his hat-trick upon the restart. His shot rattled the underside of the crossbar three minutes into the second half, as United were all at sea. Kilmarnock's third goal came on the hour mark when Jim McSherry poked the ball home after McAlpine had made a great save. McSherry earned a loud applause three minutes with an equally clever goal to put the home side 4-1 ahead as Kilmarnock coasted towards victory. Despite a late reply from Alan Gordon, United had lost the match and were out of the League Cup, with only three points from five games.

<< Previous Match Next Match >>
Programme cover / Team sheet