Dundee Utd 1 - 4 Hibernian

League Cup - Sectional Tie
Wednesday, August 25th, 1971, 7:30 PM at Tannadice Park
Attendance: 7,783
Referee: R Wilson (Glasgow)
Dundee Utd  Hibernian

Alan Gordon (9)
Joe Baker (30)
Eric Stevenson (81)
Alex Cropley (85)
Arthur Duncan (86)

Team Managers
Jerry Kerr
Eddie Turnbull

Starting Eleven
Hamish McAlpine
Doug Smith
Jim Cameron
Andy Rolland
Tommy Traynor
Billy Gray
Jim Henry
Alec Reid
Joe Watson
Ian Reid
Alan Gordon
Jim Herriot
John Brownlie
Erich Schaedler
Jimmy O'Rourke
Jim Black
Pat Stanton
Eric Stevenson
Johnny Hamilton
Joe Baker
John Hazel
Alex Cropley

Davie Wilson
Arthur Duncan

Davie Wilson for Jim Henry
Arthur Duncan for Johnny Hamilton

Appearances & Goals To Date
Hamish McAlpine (GK) 35 apps -
Doug Smith 469 apps9 goals
Jim Cameron 155 apps -
Andy Rolland 164 apps13 goals
Tommy Traynor 36 apps3 goals
Billy Gray 4 apps -
Jim Henry 71 apps6 goals
Alec Reid 118 apps14 goals
Joe Watson 9 apps -
Ian Reid 13 apps3 goals
Alan Gordon 84 apps32 goals
Davie Wilson (sub) 159 apps27 goals

Starting Lineup
Youngest Player:Joe Watson (19 years 241 days)
Oldest Player:Doug Smith (34 years 177 days)
Average Player Age:25 years 177 days
Domestic Players:10 (90.91 % of starting eleven)

Matchday Squad
Youngest Player:Joe Watson (19 years 241 days)
Oldest Player:Doug Smith (34 years 177 days)
Average Player Age:26 years 29 days
Domestic Players:11 (91.67 % of matchday squad)

First Team Debuts


Forward Ian Reid was drafted into the starting eleven for the visit of Hibernian, making his first appearance of the season having scored five goals in his last two reserve matches. Kenny Cameron, still recovering from injury, dropped out again due to lack of fitness.

Both teams started the game well and in aggressive fashion, with Alec Reid and Eric Schaedler both cautioned in the early going. It was United who scored first. Too slow to react to a Joe Watson cross in goal for Hibs, Jim Herriot missed the ball before Alan Gordon headed in after 9 minutes. Joe Baker took Hibs back in to the game shortly though, heading home a Johnny Hamilton corner to cap off a brilliant half for the centre forward.

Both goalkeepers were busy during the second half, but it would be over half an hour before the game heralded any further scoring, and unluckily for United, it came for Hibs. Ten minutes from the end, left-back Jim Cameron was sent off for a tackle on John Brownlie. Hibs quickly capitalized on the man advantage and within a spell of just five minutes, Eric Stevenson, Alex Cropley and substitute Arthur Duncan had all scored. Stevenson was first with a free kick from 35 yards, before Cropley scored from close range four minutes later. Straight from the kick off, Duncan crashed the ball in from a rebounded Brownlie shot to round off a disappointing result for the Tannadice men.

<< Previous Match Next Match >>