Dundee Utd 2 - 2 Motherwell

League Cup - Sectional Tie
Saturday, August 21st, 1971, 3:00 PM at Tannadice Park
Attendance: 5,799
Referee: R Crawford (Stirling)
Dundee Utd  Motherwell

Kenny Cameron (47)
Tommy Traynor (70)
Alex Martin (58)
Brian Heron (78)

Team Managers
Jerry Kerr
Bobby Howitt

Starting Eleven
Hamish McAlpine
Jim Cameron
Andy Rolland
Doug Smith
Walter Smith
Alec Reid
Joe Watson
Billy Gray
Tommy Traynor
Alan Gordon
Kenny Cameron
Tommy Burns
Davie Whiteford
Davie Main
Tom Forsyth
Willie McCallum
Joe Wark
Kirkie Lawson
Bobby Watson
Dixie Deans
Alex Martin
Brian Heron

Davie Wilson
Billy Brown

Davie Wilson for Alan Gordon (59)

Appearances & Goals To Date
Hamish McAlpine (GK) 34 apps -
Jim Cameron 154 apps -
Andy Rolland 163 apps13 goals
Doug Smith 468 apps9 goals
Walter Smith 34 apps -
Alec Reid 117 apps14 goals
Joe Watson 8 apps -
Billy Gray 3 apps -
Tommy Traynor 35 apps3 goals
Alan Gordon 83 apps31 goals
Kenny Cameron 89 apps57 goals
Davie Wilson (sub) 158 apps27 goals

Starting Lineup
Youngest Player:Joe Watson (19 years 237 days)
Oldest Player:Doug Smith (34 years 173 days)
Average Player Age:26 years 93 days
Domestic Players:10 (90.91 % of starting eleven)

Matchday Squad
Youngest Player:Joe Watson (19 years 237 days)
Oldest Player:Doug Smith (34 years 173 days)
Average Player Age:26 years 287 days
Domestic Players:11 (91.67 % of matchday squad)

First Team Debuts


Kenny Cameron recovered from a leg injury to reclaim his place in the United starting eleven for the visit of Motherwell in the latest of the Club's League Cup sectional ties.

United were on top in the early stages and after eight minutes could have gone in the lead with an Alan Gordon header which sailed just over the bar. Jim Cameron shot just past the post two minutes later after being sent clear by Alec Reid. On 13 minutes, Gordon had another chance from the edge of the box but his weak shot was held by the Steelmen's young stand-in keeper Tommy Burns. At the other end, 'Well nearly took the lead through Brian Heron when the striker forced a save from Hamish McAlpine at the far post. Save for a Kirkie Lawson effort fired past the post on 38 minutes, United finished the first half as the better side and were unlucky not to be taking a lead in with them.

United broke the deadlock two minutes after the restart. Starting a great move, Joe Watson sent a ball down the right for Alec Reid who crossed for Kenny Cameron to beat Burns to the ball and head into the net. Settling into the game, Motherwell equalised just over ten minutes later when Alex Martin pounced on a rebound from a Dixie Deans effort. Davie Wilson was introduced moments after when Gordon was forced to withdraw due to injury. Tommy Traynor restored United's lead in the 70th minute, but the advantage was short lived, as Brian Heron netted for Motherwell with twelve minutes remaining to level the score as it would remain.


<< Previous Match Next Match >>
Programme cover / Team sheet