Dundee Utd 2 - 1 Heart of Midlothian

League - Division One
Wednesday, March 20th, 1968, 7:30 PM at Tannadice Park
Attendance: 3,801
Referee: Jim Callaghan (Glasgow)
Dundee Utd  Heart of Midlothian

Ian Mitchell (61)
Davie Wilson (82)
Rene Moller (1)

Team Managers
Jerry Kerr
John Harvey

Starting Eleven
Don Mackay
Jim Cameron
Andy Rolland
Tommy Neilson
Doug Smith
Wilson Wood
Davie Wilson
Dennis Gillespie
Finn Seemann
Ian Mitchell
Ian Scott
Jim Cruickshank
Ian Sneddon
David Holt
George Miller
Alan Anderson
Arthur Mann
Donald Ford
Jim Townsend
Rene Moller
Jim Irvine
Bobby Kemp

Billy Hainey
George Fleming

None. None.

Appearances & Goals To Date
Don Mackay (GK) 132 apps -
Jim Cameron 13 apps -
Andy Rolland 22 apps4 goals
Tommy Neilson 309 apps11 goals
Doug Smith 322 apps2 goals
Wilson Wood 30 apps1 goal
Davie Wilson 28 apps8 goals
Dennis Gillespie 360 apps110 goals
Finn Seemann 62 apps17 goals
Ian Mitchell 188 apps88 goals
Ian Scott 16 apps6 goals

Starting Lineup
Youngest Player:Jim Cameron (21 years 109 days)
Oldest Player:Tommy Neilson (33 years 321 days)
Average Player Age:26 years 251 days
Domestic Players:10 (90.91 % of starting eleven)

Matchday Squad
Youngest Player:Jim Cameron (21 years 109 days)
Oldest Player:Tommy Neilson (33 years 321 days)
Average Player Age:26 years 315 days
Domestic Players:11 (91.67 % of matchday squad)

First Team Debuts


The poor league record hardly bore testimony as far as United fans were concerned as they saw Hearts take a 20 second lead. United booked the gale at their back but Hearts caught the Tannadice defence in an early tangle. Danish centre Rene Moller did the damage when he converted a square ball from Donald Ford. Immediately United struck back, but lan Scott's hooked shot was blocked on the line by Holt. There was an injury scare for United when Donald Mackay injured himself in clearing a comer. Fortunately he was able to resume after a lengthy stoppage. A great run and shot by lan Mitchell scraped the post and a fine diving save by Cruickshank robbed Wilson Wood when he shot through a crowded defence. At the other end Donald Ford had the ball in the net but the score was chalked off. United were still in hot pursuit of an equaliser but an lan Scott shot struck the post and Cruickshank brilliantly turned aside an lan Mitchell rocket. Finally Hearts cracked. Denis Gillespie tried a volley but only succeeded in finding Finn Seemann on the right. The Norwegian winger slung over a perfect cross and Ian Mitchell was on hand to nod high past Jim Cruickshank after 61 minutes. The Hearts 'keeper was soon in action again, this time superbly fisting over a first-timer from Davie Wilson. In the 80th minute, however Jim Cruickshank had to admit defeat. lan Mitchell started the move with a through ball to Finn Seemann. The winger's cross was miskicked by defender George Millar straight into the path of Davie Wilson, who hammered the ball high into the net. Even then Donald Mackay came to
United's rescue when he daringly dived at Mailer's feet to avert a certain goal. However, the game ended with lan Mitchell going close in the dying minutes. So United gained quick revenge for that cup exit though it was a sparse crowd, around half the 9021 that watched the cup-tie a month earlier.

<< Previous Match Next Match >>