Rangers 2 - 0 Dundee Utd

League Cup - Semi Final 2nd Leg
Wednesday, February 22nd, 1984, 7:30 PM at Ibrox
Attendance: 37,180
Referee: David Syme (Rutherglen)
Rangers Dundee Utd

Sandy Clark (43)
Ian Redford (52)

Team Managers
Jock Wallace Jim McLean

Starting Eleven
Peter McCloy
Jimmy Nicholl
Ally Dawson
John McClelland
Dave McPherson
Ian Redford
Robert Russell
Robert Prytz
Sandy Clark
Ally McCoist
Davie Cooper
Hamish McAlpine
Richard Gough
John Holt
Dave Narey
Maurice Malpas
Paul Hegarty
Derek Stark
Eamonn Bannon
Ralph Milne
Paul Sturrock
Davie Dodds

Dave Mitchell
Hugh Burns
Billy Kirkwood
John Clark

Dave Mitchell for Ally McCoist (79)
Hugh Burns for Sandy Clark (79)
Billy Kirkwood for John Holt (73)
John Clark for Eamonn Bannon (255)

None. Maurice Malpas

Red Cards
None. None.
Appearances & Goals To Date
Hamish McAlpine (GK) 615 apps3 goals
Richard Gough 136 apps18 goals
John Holt 269 apps22 goals
Dave Narey 484 apps34 goals
Maurice Malpas 109 apps3 goals
Paul Hegarty 440 apps63 goals
Derek Stark 231 apps9 goals
Eamonn Bannon 223 apps60 goals
Ralph Milne 191 apps59 goals
Paul Sturrock 384 apps120 goals
Davie Dodds 265 apps114 goals
John Clark (sub) 13 apps -
Billy Kirkwood (sub) 301 apps61 goals

Starting Lineup
Youngest Player:Maurice Malpas (21 years 208 days)
Oldest Player:Hamish McAlpine (36 years 41 days)
Average Player Age:26 years 163 days
Domestic Players:11 (100.00 % of starting eleven)

Matchday Squad
Youngest Player:John Clark (19 years 157 days)
Oldest Player:Hamish McAlpine (36 years 41 days)
Average Player Age:25 years 305 days
Domestic Players:13 (100.00 % of matchday squad)

First Team Debuts


United's first defeat of 1984 put an end to any aspirations of a fourth League Cup final appearance in five years. Overall this was a disappointing performance by United, though in a first 45 minutes of few chances the most threatening were a header by Ralph Milne and a shot from Derek Stark. Sandwiched between those chances. Rangers' Sandy Clark opened the scoring with a fine volley on the turn.

Early in the second half United went further behind when Ian Redford surged forward to lob the ball over the advancing Hamish McAlpine. There was to be no recovery from that blow and the closest United came to reducing the gap came when Paul Sturrock was unlucky to see his shot strike the bar near the end.

<< Previous Match Next Match >>
Programme cover / Team sheet