Motherwell 0 - 3 Dundee Utd

League Cup - Group Section 1
Wednesday, November 30th, 1983, 7:30 PM at Fir Park
Attendance: 1,319
Referee: David Syme (Rutherglen)
Motherwell Dundee Utd

None. Ralph Milne (20)
Gary McGinnis (47)
John Reilly (71)

Team Managers
Bobby Watson Jim McLean

Starting Eleven
Hugh Sproat
Andy Dornan
Ian MacLeod
Graham Forbes
Joe Carson
Ally Mauchlen
Gary McAllister
Johannes Edvaldsson
Andy Harrow
Ian Alexander
Andy Ritchie
Hamish McAlpine
Richard Gough
John Holt
Derek Murray
Maurice Malpas
Gary McGinnis
Paul Hegarty
Ralph Milne
John Reilly
Eamonn Bannon
Graeme Payne

Joe Wark
Jim Gillespie
Dave Beaumont
John Clark

Joe Wark for Ally Mauchlen (71)
Jim Gillespie for Andy Ritchie (72)
Dave Beaumont for Paul Hegarty (57)
John Clark for Ralph Milne (86)

None. None.

Red Cards
None. None.
Appearances & Goals To Date
Hamish McAlpine (GK) 605 apps3 goals
Richard Gough 127 apps18 goals
John Holt 259 apps22 goals
Derek Murray 22 apps -
Maurice Malpas 99 apps2 goals
Gary McGinnis 3 apps1 goal
Paul Hegarty 430 apps61 goals
Ralph Milne 182 apps58 goals
John Reilly 50 apps17 goals
Eamonn Bannon 215 apps59 goals
Graeme Payne 293 apps21 goals
Dave Beaumont (sub) 2 apps -
John Clark (sub) 9 apps -

Starting Lineup
Youngest Player:Gary McGinnis (20 years 45 days)
Oldest Player:Hamish McAlpine (35 years 322 days)
Average Player Age:25 years 39 days
Domestic Players:11 (100.00 % of starting eleven)

Matchday Squad
Youngest Player:John Clark (19 years 73 days)
Oldest Player:Hamish McAlpine (35 years 322 days)
Average Player Age:24 years 94 days
Domestic Players:13 (100.00 % of matchday squad)

First Team Debuts

John Reilly played his 50th major competitive game for the Club.
Gary McGinnis scored his first goal for the Club.

Though of totally academic importance as far as the group placings were concerned, this win came as welcome relief, ending the Tannadice goal famine.

United's first came as cleverly worked free-kick. Bannon's shot was deflected and Ralph Milne whipped the ball in from a tight angle, after 20 minutes. Two minutes into the second half United went further ahead. Richard Gough's well flighted cross was chested down by Gary McGinnis and his shot from 12 yards left Sproat helpless.

John Reilly completed the scoring in the 71st minute when he headed in a cross following Eamonn Bannon's superb left wing run.

<< Previous Match Next Match >>
Programme cover / Team sheet