Dundee Utd 0 - 0 Stenhousemuir

(Lost 5 - 4 on pens.)
Challenge Cup - Final
Sunday, November 5th, 1995, 3:00 PM at McDiarmid Park
Attendance: 7,856
Referee: John Rowbotham (Kirkcaldy)
Dundee Utd  Stenhousemuir

None. None.

Team Managers
Billy Kirkwood
Terry Christie

Starting Eleven
Ally Maxwell
Rab Shannon
Christian Dailly
Steven Pressley
Maurice Malpas
Andy McLaren
Grant Johnson
Ray McKinnon
Owen Coyle
Robbie Winters
Gary McSwegan
Roddy McKenzie
Eamonn Bannon
Lloyd Haddow
Graeme Amstrong
George McGeachie
Adrian Sprott
Paul Hunter
Jimmy Fisher
Miller Mathieson
Gareth Hutchison
Graham Little

Kelham O'Hanlon
Jamie McQuilken
Craig Brewster
Neil Aitken
Paul Logan
Tommy Steel

Jamie McQuilken for Andy McLaren (61)
Craig Brewster for Owen Coyle (73)
Tommy Steel for Jimmy Fisher (118)

Andy McLaren (48)

Red Cards
None. None.
Appearances & Goals To Date
Ally Maxwell (GK) 15 apps -
Rab Shannon 19 apps -
Christian Dailly 154 apps19 goals
Steven Pressley 17 apps1 goal
Maurice Malpas 679 apps22 goals
Andy McLaren 98 apps6 goals
Grant Johnson 68 apps8 goals
Ray McKinnon 63 apps7 goals
Owen Coyle 5 apps2 goals
Robbie Winters 30 apps6 goals
Gary McSwegan 6 apps2 goals
Jamie McQuilken (sub) 1 app (debut) -
Craig Brewster (sub) 84 apps30 goals

Starting Lineup
Youngest Player:Robbie Winters (21 years 6 days)
Oldest Player:Maurice Malpas (33 years 102 days)
Average Player Age:25 years 316 days
Domestic Players:10 (90.91 % of starting eleven)

Matchday Squad
Youngest Player:Robbie Winters (21 years 6 days)
Oldest Player:Kelham O'Hanlon (33 years 181 days)
Average Player Age:26 years 105 days
Domestic Players:12 (85.71 % of matchday squad)

First Team Debuts
Jamie McQuilken(Signed November 4th, 1995)


Both recent acquisitions were stripped for this Final with Ray McKinnon taking Jim Bett's place, whilst Jamie McQuilken was on the bench after his transfer 24 hours earlier.

In the early stages, Stenhousemuir gave as good as they got and that set the trend for the whole match. In fact they came closest to opening the scoring after 21 minutes when hesitancy in the United defence following a corner from the left gave Muir a sight of goal, but the ball was headed wide.

A couple of speculative efforts which didn't trouble McKenzie was all United could muster until seven minutes before the interval when Robbie Winters probing run sent Gary McSwegan clear, but the Muir keeper diverted the ball for a corner. Although United finished the half strongly, it was Stenhousemuir who had the bit between their teeth at the start of the second. Ally Maxwell was at full stretch to keep out a Haddow shot. Owen Coyle lifted a shot over the bar as United struggled to come to grips with their Second Division opponents.

The Ochilview men had the ball in the net 17 minutes from the end of normal time, but Ally Maxwell had clearly been fouled.
The warriors mounted a concerted attacking spell as the final whistle grew closer, but a glancing header from Grant Johnson and a deflected shot from Jamie McQuilken almost broke the deadlock as the tie came to life in the closing minutes of normal time.

But extra-time was required and the one real chance to fall to either side came in the 108th minute when McKenzie made a tremendous reaction save to keep out Gary McSwegan's diving header from Robbie Winters' cross.

In truth, a Tangerine victory would have been undeserved and when it came to penalties, they scored from all five with Craig Brewster missing United's first proving crucial, while Christian Dailly, McSwegan, Grant Johnson and Maurice Malpas all followed and all scored on a disappointing afternoon all round.

<< Previous Match Next Match >>
Programme cover / Team sheet

Ticket stub / Admission info