Clydebank 0 - 1 Dundee Utd

Challenge Cup - 3rd Round
Tuesday, September 26th, 1995, 7:30 PM at Kilbowie Park
Attendance: 835
Referee: J Herald (Clarkston)
Clydebank Dundee Utd

None. Ben Honeyman (83)

Team Managers
Jack Steedman Billy Kirkwood

Starting Eleven
Gary Matthews
Craig Tomlinson
Colin Sutherland
Alan Landsdowne
Tom Currie
David Nicholls
Gary Teale
Graeme Connell
Steve Kerrigan
James Grady
Gary Bowman
Kelham O'Hanlon
Mark Perry
Dale Gray
Maurice Malpas
Christian Dailly
Rab Shannon
Neil Caldwell
Grant Johnson
Ben Honeyman
Paul Walker
Stuart Gilmour

Craig Flannigan
Gary Agnew
Paul Lovering
Ally Maxwell
Andy McLaren
Robbie Winters

Craig Flannigan for Steve Kerrigan (80)
Gary Agnew for Craig Tomlinson (87)

Craig Tomlinson (78) Maurice Malpas (45)
Mark Perry (65)

Red Cards
None. None.
Appearances & Goals To Date
Kelham O'Hanlon (GK) 36 apps -
Mark Perry 51 apps2 goals
Dale Gray 1 app (debut) -
Maurice Malpas 671 apps22 goals
Christian Dailly 146 apps18 goals
Rab Shannon 11 apps -
Neil Caldwell 5 apps1 goal
Grant Johnson 60 apps6 goals
Ben Honeyman 1 app (debut)1 goal
Paul Walker 4 apps -
Stuart Gilmour 1 app (debut) -

Starting Lineup
Youngest Player:Dale Gray (17 years 227 days)
Oldest Player:Kelham O'Hanlon (33 years 141 days)
Average Player Age:23 years 187 days
Domestic Players:9 (81.82 % of starting eleven)

Matchday Squad
Youngest Player:Dale Gray (17 years 227 days)
Oldest Player:Kelham O'Hanlon (33 years 141 days)
Average Player Age:23 years 273 days
Domestic Players:12 (85.71 % of matchday squad)

First Team Debuts
Ben Honeyman(Signed July 31st, 1992)
Dale Gray(Signed )
Stuart Gilmour(Signed )

Ben Honeyman scored his first goal for the Club.

United dominated the opening stages and the Bankies had a narrow escape in the 12th minute. Paul Walker fed Ben Honeyman who whipped in a shot which Matthews couldn't hold and only Currie's intervention as he scrambled the ball away for a comer prevented Paul Walker giving United the lead. Honeyman then shot narrowly over. The young United newcomers were doing themselves no harm at all with Stuart Gilmour firing fractionally wide after a 20 minutes which had been totally dominated by the Tangerines.

It was 26 minutes before the Bankies really posed a threat, but Steve Kerrigan's spectacular hitch kick fell kindly for Kelham O'Hanlon. The home side by now had some more into the game and Sutherland first timed a pile-driver from 30 yards but it was straight at Kelham O'Hanlon.

Half time arrived with the game still goalless, but with the Bankies showing signs of beginning to dominate after United's good opening. This was confirmed immediately after the re-start with Kelham O'Hanlon tipping over a 25 yarder trom Grady, But from that point, either side looked like scoring as play was confined to the middle area of the park. However, with 20 minutes left, Neil Caldwell wasnt too far off target after the Bankies defence opened up in front of him. Grant Johnson then hit a long range shot which Matthews only held at the second attempt.

There were just seven minutes left when the goal that was to decide the tie arrived and it was the United's youngsters who combined to score. Stuart Gilmour sent over a cross from the left which Ben Honeyman sidefooted home from 8 yards.

There was no real worries for the 200 or so United fans as the tangerine comfortably saw out the last few minutes to qualify for the semi-finals of the League Challenge Cup.

CLUB COMMENT "I was pleased with the way all the youngsters performed" - MAURICE MALPAS

<< Previous Match Next Match >>
Programme cover / Team sheet