Dundee Utd 2 - 0 Airdrie United / Airdrieonians (new)

League Cup - 3rd Round
Tuesday, September 23rd, 2008, 7:45 PM at Tannadice Park
Attendance: 3,444
Referee: Mike Tumilty
Dundee Utd  Airdrie United / Airdrieonians (new)

David Goodwillie (33)
Scott Robertson (42)

Team Managers
Craig Levein
Kenny Black

Starting Eleven
Lukasz Załuska
Paul Dixon
Lee Wilkie
Darren Dods
Seán Dillon
David Robertson
Scott Robertson
Craig Conway
Morgaro Gomis
Fran Sandaza
David Goodwillie
Stephen Robertson
Marc Smyth
Bobby Donnelly
David Nixon
Darren Smith
Joe Cardle
Scott McLaughlin
Stephen McKenna
Michael Brown
Steven McDougall
Paul Di Giacomo

Michael McGovern
Danny Grainger
Ryan McCord
Danny Swanson
Roy O'Donovan
Matt Hazley
Stuart Noble
Stephen McGuire
Callum Brady
Lee Hollis

Roy O'Donovan for Fran Sandaza (69)
Danny Swanson for Craig Conway (79)
Ryan McCord for David Robertson (88)
Stuart Noble for Darren Smith (61)
Stephen McGuire for Joe Cardle (77)

Paul Dixon (65)

Red Cards
None. None.
Appearances & Goals To Date
Lukasz Załuska (GK) 27 apps -
Paul Dixon 1 app (debut) -
Seán Dillon 61 apps2 goals
Lee Wilkie 60 apps6 goals
Darren Dods 45 apps2 goals
David Robertson 68 apps12 goals
Scott Robertson 8 apps1 goal
Craig Conway 59 apps2 goals
Morgaro Gomis 64 apps2 goals
Fran Sandaza 7 apps2 goals
David Goodwillie 34 apps4 goals
Danny Swanson (sub) 21 apps2 goals
Ryan McCord (sub) 1 app (debut) -
Roy O'Donovan (sub) 5 apps -

Starting Lineup
Youngest Player:David Goodwillie (19 years 184 days)
Oldest Player:Darren Dods (33 years 117 days)
Average Player Age:24 years 217 days
Domestic Players:7 (63.64 % of starting eleven)

Matchday Squad
Youngest Player:David Goodwillie (19 years 184 days)
Oldest Player:Darren Dods (33 years 117 days)
Average Player Age:23 years 304 days
Domestic Players:9 (56.25 % of matchday squad)

First Team Debuts
Paul Dixon(Signed June 23rd, 2008)
Ryan McCord(Signed April 18th, 2006)

Scott Robertson scored his first goal for the Club.

United progressed comfortably into the Co-Operative Insurance Cup quarter finals after despatching Airdrie with ease courtesy of first half goals from David Goodwillie and Scott Robertson.

After a low key opening half hour in which the home side dominated in terms of possession the game finally sprung into life after 32 minutes. A good cross by Paul Dixon was headed towards goal by Lee Wilkie and Stephen Robertson could only parry into the path of Goodwillie who was perfectly placed at the back post to head the ball into the empty net. 2 minutes later Goodwillie almost doubled his tally after turning brilliantly in the box following a pass from Scott Robertson, forcing a superb save out of the goalkeeper from a low shot which was destined for the bottom corner. Despite not having had an effort on goal the whole game Airdrie almost produced an unlikely equaliser in the 37th minute when good play by McDougall on the right first set up Di Giacomo whose shot was blocked by Wilkie before Zaluska made an excellent save to claw away Cardle’s header from the rebound. United did double their lead after 41 minutes however after Scott Robertson ended a superb move started by Sandaza on the left wing. After a quick interchange with Goodwillie the striker played the ball out wide to Gomis who then set up Robertson at the edge of the area. The midfield man took a touch before curling an unstoppable shot into the top right corner of the net with Stephen Robertson left helpless.

Moments into the half Scott Robertson almost scored again when he hit an early shot from the edge of the box following a Wilkie head down from a Goodwillie cross. The effort caught out keeper Robertson who only just prevented the ball rolling over the line while gathering at the second attempt. Gomis helped create the next chance when he played a nice pass out wide to Dillon whose early crossed struck the hand of an Airdrie defender before falling to Sandaza who fired over. Despite appeals the referee was not about to award a penalty however. After another lull in proceedings Gomis tried to change the tempo when he beat 2 men at the edge of the box before driving a left foot shot towards goal from 20 yards which was sliced wide of the left post. As the game began to draw towards a conclusion Airdrie were limited to only a couple of shots from long range which were comfortably off target before first Dixon tried his luck from distance then Goodwillie turned and shot at goal bringing out another save from Robertson as United searched for the clincher. The result was never in doubt however with all the work having been done in the first half and Airdrie never looking likely to mount any sort of comeback.


<< Previous Match Next Match >>
Programme cover / Team sheet